1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

They got some documents, I'm sure... but it's not like Manafort (and his lawyers) has not known that he was ground zero for a couple of months now. He might have been dumb enough to leave a smoking gun sitting around, but most likely anything like that is buttoned up somewhere safe. Bargaining chips don't work if they are seized. Ask Netanyahu's buddy about that.

2. Neutral Corner

Or they have talked to him with his lawyer and tried tough bargaining, and the FBI said "Screw that" and went in after it. He's dumb as a rock if anything of great value was sitting around his house waiting to be seized.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Why do you think they would attack us first? Leaders like Kim are concerned with maintaining power, not committing acts of state suicide that'd guarantee they'd lose it.

I'd think right wingers might've learned a lesson about starting "preemptive" wars after seeing what happened in Iraq. But seems many did not.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

1. The United States is really a good guy looking out for the welfare of the world.
    2. Peyton Manning is better than Tom Brady.

Used to really believe those things. No more.

5. Neutral Corner

To preempt an actual threat, it would be entirely appropriate. I'm not sure NK is going to trot a missle out onto a pad and fuel it for God and Keyhole satellites to see, though. It's when we're talking about doing it to preempt the Dear Leader's overheated rhetoric and bluster that I have a problem.

6. Neutral Corner

They have enough artillery (Bowden's figure was 8,000 tubes) in hardened bunkers within forty miles of Seoul to turn the whole city into rubble within 24 hours. There are roughly ten million people in Seoul, as well of much of SK's industry. Trot out all the bombers, tanks, and SEALs you want, there is no more efficient killer on a battlefield than artillery.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Underneath this all is the cold calculus that a military action seen as a win might be good for the Trump brand.

This sudden new intelligence was telegraphed a month ago.

8. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

That is a shame, I feel sorry for the "little" you.
    In the early Regan years when nukes we always a big topic there was a priest named Father Nadolny, he was sometimes controversial, any way, he use to talk about kids of the 80's and their problems being in part due to the constant threat of war.
    Not to take anything away from you because I was truly touched by that statement, but I can't imagine what kids in actual war zones go through.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. It's a win just like Bill Clinton preventing North Korea from getting a nuke was a win.

(The truth is the Iran deal ensures Iran will become a nuclear power. At best, it delays when this will happen.)

10. Neutral Corner

We're not the only smart people on the planet. A bomb small and light enough to go by ICBM *could* be smuggled out. NK has a bunch of miniature subs, I don't know if they have (or have built) one with a large enough access to smuggle it out. There are a lot of greedy people in the world who will do whatever for money. Let them think they are smuggling drugs or something.

The various intelligence services have done unbelievable things. NK is a poor benighted country, but they spend whatever they want to on military matters.

Is it likely? No, I don't think so. I dearly hope that our IS is as good as you say... but they've been wrong more than once.

11. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

You criticize Obama and Hillary for being late on those issues. As I explained to you in another post most of the country was late in coming to that issue. So I assume you will not be using that against them in the future.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What reason does North Korea have to pre-emptively strike the United States?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.