1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

HanSenSE and Smallpotatoes like this.
  2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Jim Bouton once had a better spring training than she did.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No, that's not what she said. The "without resistance" phrase is key.

She said nothing about the government violating their 1A rights. She did said folks shouldn't STFU and let them march unopposed.

4. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

No. But the fact that it happened here is a result, exactly, of specifically American ideals: that anyone is free to believe, and say, anything. It's these freedoms -- freedoms we take for granted -- that cause such problems, as well as ones like those exhibited in Charlottesville yesterday.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yesterday was an abomination.

Racists views are repugnant, and racism is evil, and sinful.

And, the solutions to these problems proposed by people like Rick are worse than the problems they claim they are solving.

6. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I have no doubt that it's there and that it's considerable. It is misguided. I will say, however, that there is no way the ACLU should defend in court any permit application from anybody who has been a party to this weekend's events. Those people have proven they are incapable of meeting the First Amendment's standards of peaceful assembly and are therefore not to be trusted.

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Sorry, buddy boy, but we need a pound of your flesh too.

8. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

A suggestion: Instead of having to say over and over that you repudiate the racist views, disarm people with my favorite oh-so-British expression commonly heard in Prime Minister's Question Time: "I refer the gentleman to the answer I gave some moments ago." Love it.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

When people show up with torches and weapons, are they assumed to be peaceably assembling?

10. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Dr. Seuss tried to warn us.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The ACLU knows its support is threatened by their defense of speech the left doesn't like. Though it's curious how they also condemned "all violence".

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

So the problem of Naziism is bad, but not *that* bad? Got it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.