1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's the other option?

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I disagree with the ACLU on this issue but it does not in any way diminish my support for them as an organization.

Much like you disagree with Trump's Nazi apologism but it doesn't seem to diminish your support for him.

LongTimeListener likes this.
  3. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

This is so fucking stupid.

QYFW likes this.
  4. RickStain

Adding "hate speech" to the already lengthy list of exceptions to free speech. Something many other first world countries have already done with success.

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

To take precautions against them using those torches and weapons on people. This was not intended to be a peaceable assembly. You don't bring torches and weapons to a peaceable assembly.

6. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Right. This may be the most significant, lasting issue of modern liberalism.

They don't even want to hear things they don't like, so what they don't want to hear shouldn't be allowed.

SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  7. RickStain

8. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Trump has switched to "Americans First," though. Totally different meaning.

9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I think having weapons in this setting should disqualify you from the presumption of peaceful assembly. But I doubt that argument would win.
    Open-carry laws presume the purpose of carrying is self-defense rather than aggression. I think those laws are absurd, but that's another issue.
    What about torches? Interesting one. Are they covered by legislation? I don't know.

10. RickStain

Bullshit. I'm open to all kinds of dumbass ideas being protected. Nobody is trying to shut down Randian weirdos like Paul Ryan.

We are talking about a specific type of speech which attempts to use the existence of free speech as a loophole to gain power to destroy all free speech.

Limiting their free speech is defending free speech.

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I denounce @RickStain's support for adding a hate speech exception to the First Amendment.

(Though I have always respected Rick's refusal to treat the Constitution as a talisman.)

12. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

You're just a pathetic partisan apologist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.