1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I'm not a fan of slippery-slope arguments, but this is a slippery slope. Who draws the line?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Weren't the torches employed Friday night, which was relatively peaceful?

I don't think the organizers of this event --AS REPUGNANT AS THEY ARE -- were looking to propagate violence. If anything, they were hoping to provoke violence, so they could portray themselves as victims.

And, until one asshole plowed his car into the crowd, they were mostly achieving their goal.

heyabbott likes this.
  3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

The same people who said you couldn't share classified information if there was an imminent danger to national interests, or that you can't yell fire in a crowded building, or that you can't threaten to kill someone in an attempt to scare them.

We've managed to restrict free speech plenty of times before without falling down the slippery slope.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm going to have fun today going back to read your posts after the Dallas police massacre.

Donny in his element likes this.
  5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Looking for a fight is not peaceably assembling.

They brought weapons. They brought the kinds of things The Walking Dead uses to brain zombies. That is not a peaceable assembly.

I think it's time to punt on Trump and update the "I changed my mind" thread. You're too good a person to stand behind this.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. RickStain

That asshole in the car most certainly was not the first example of their violence this week.

7. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Antifa? It's Anti-Fascism and it's what the Allies were in WWII. Yes, the US and Britain used violence to quash fascism.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Hate speech is political speech, particularly in the case of Nazis.

We are having a collective overreaction to recent events. The right reacted the same way post-9/11.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Feel just terrible that violence was used against such hateful, small dicked paranoid assholes. Just terrible.

10. RickStain

Hate speech is also assault. It is intentionally designed to provoke fear in those they deem inferior. It is a threat. It is saying "we intend to obtain political power and use it to declare you subhuman and commit gross violence against you."

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

It's not just this. It's the ridiculousness of the "safe space" crowd. Not allowing Nazi marches would be an extension of that.

Can't have any speech that challenges liberal beliefs.

I'm liberal on 90% of topics. Free speech is a liberal tenet. How it's evolved into only speech liberals like, I don't get.

12. RickStain

Being able to not get it is what they call "privilege"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.