1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Countries have the right to develop weaponry to defend themselves. But we have used international law and open war to prevent countries from developing nuclear weapons, in violation of that right. Heck, even with the current NK crisis, nobody wants NK to have them. It's just a debate of whether or not we can stop them at this point.

Nazis are the rogue state, and political power is their nuclear weapon. We have every right to prevent them from attempting to use free speech, just like we can stop rogue nations from conducting nuclear research (and hopefully more effectively).

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

But shutting off the speech before it even starts doesn't defeat it. You defeat it by addressing it head-on, not by hiding it from view.

franticscribe likes this.
  3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Back when I was a blue-collar guy, one of my older co-workers was always bitching about MLK, how he was a "troublemaker" who should have been stopped because there was always violence around him. Who'd have imagined this guy would be reincarnated in a 21st Century woke version?

4. RickStain

It's preemption.

They have the right to use speech to gain political power. They have the right to use that power to achieve their ends. Their ends are mass genocide.

Our choices are violate their rights somewhere along the line or hope they don't succeed.

5. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I don't know, because it's not like that will eradicate the ideology but send it into hiding. It might deter the garden variety idiots from joining, but I think it would only strengthen the attraction for the dangerous radicals. In this day and age they can commiserate and plot together on the Internet. I think the tragedy of yesterday is, at the risk of sounding flippant, the cost of doing business in a free society. I'm heartened by the voices across the political spectrum that denounced both the incident and the ideology (while the response from the White House served as yet more confirmation that the president is a morally bankrupt stooge). Let them put themselves on the display to be the world's laughing stock and crack down when they do something illegal.

SnarkShark likes this.
  6. SnarkShark

Did you just call MLK a Nazi?

7. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

The guy's photo with Trump was a photoshop:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. RickStain

We can do both. Why count on individuals to fight it when that is literally what the government is for. To collectively protect our interests.

9. RickStain

"woke" isn't quite up to Lena Dunham in terms of "I only hear it from conservatives complaining," but it's close.

10. SnarkShark

How can you address something head-on, if you don't allow it to be said in the first place?

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Nothing the JDL can't handle.

12. SnarkShark

A very poor photoshop, to boot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.