1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You have the strangest choice of battlegrounds

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

More complicated than queening . . . and vacuuming.

[​IMG]

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Is there anybody who has Trump's ear? Kelly? He needs to stop ad libbing. Immediately. No more Twitter. No more off-the-cuff remarks about serious shit. He has stepped in it twice in the last week, badly.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

5. Dick Whitman

What do we think about this as a straight news lede? (It's also similar to the front page headline online.)

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump bowed to overwhelming pressure that he personally condemn white supremacists who incited bloody demonstrations in Charlottesville, Va., over the weekend — labeling their racist views “evil” after two days of equivocal statements.

Trump, Saying ‘Racism Is Evil,’ Condemns Violence in Charlottesville

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read a story recently on my paper's wire, can't recall if it was AP or another paper, but it mentioned how the percentage of high school kids who had summer jobs had fallen considerably from just a few years ago. Reasons given were varied. Athletes were spending the summer at camps and travel teams. Others were doing activities like band camps. Others were spending time doing volunteer work, or other things that would look good on college applications.

As I recall, an ice cream store owner was interviewed, and he said he only had a few high school kids on staff, whereas before, they had made up his entire staff.

It does remind me of a story John Madden to,d in one of his books where he said his dad encouraged him not to work while he was young because he would have the rest of his life to work. In a way, I see where the dad, and kids today, come from, although there are certainly plenty of benefits beyond money that high schoolers can learn from a job.

7. Dick Whitman

Good Lord, New York Times. Get it together. This is an embarrassing correction.

Correction: August 14, 2017

An earlier version of this article misquoted part of President Trump’s statement on the violence in Charlottesville, Va. He blamed “many sides,” not “all sides,” for the violence that left one woman dead.

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I read a story recently on my paper's wire, can't recall if it was AP or another paper, but it mentioned how the percentage of high school kids who had summer jobs had fallen considerably from just a few years ago. Reasons given were varied. Athletes were spending the summer at camps and travel teams. Others were doing activities like band camps. Others were spending time doing volunteer work, or other things that would look good on college applications.

As I recall, an ice cream store owner was interviewed, and he said he only had a few high school kids on staff, whereas before, they had made up his entire staff.

It does remind me of a story John Madden told in one of his books where he said his dad encouraged him not to work while he was young because he would have the rest of his life to work. In a way, I see where the dad, and kids today, come from, although there are certainly plenty of benefits beyond money that high schoolers can learn from a job.

10. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

On the actual mechanics of the incident...I've spent my entire life going to Charlottesville on a frequent basis and lived there full-time for seven years. Friday's court decision was a major contributing factor. Had the event been held in McIntire Park as planned, law enforcement would have been much more likely to be able to establish a perimeter and control ingress and egress. Holding it downtown was so much worse because it's so pedestrian-friendly. You'd have thousands of people scattering in all directions, with no hope of law enforcement control. Cops knew it was likely to result in smaller fights all over the downtown area, and they were correct. Unfortunately, it resulted in a murder as well.

Also, neither the Charlottesville PD nor the state cops have any experience with anything like this. One state trooper said that this was by far the biggest riot situation the state police have faced since the coal miners' strike in the late 80s. That's nearly 30 years ago (aside: holy shit, 30 years). I doubt anyone is left on either police force with any experience in violent riot control.

Edit: I have not gone to Charlottesville every day of my life. That's a dumb mistake.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2017
  11. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

I ventured over to Stormfront out of morbid curiosity. It's mostly them calling him a "cuck" but a few taking solace in his mention of "other hate groups" as signaling that he really means the antifa and Black Lives Matter and not them.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I have no problem with it. That's what happened unless you want to argue over whether the pressure was truly "overwhelming."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.