1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

This may have proven that people were hitting his car, but how does it justify driving it into people?
    Regardless of what these people claim is evidence, he was not in danger. He could have gotten out of there without running anyone over. If he's innocent, he would have had no reason to leave the scene.

Evidence Driver was Innocent? (with images, tweets) · Cedarwooded

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
  2. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I didn't, and don't, back any horse in this stupid, tragic event. I think that's pretty clear. If it isn't, you're not a good reader, of posts, or people.

I posted it previously. I think all the counter-protestors should've stayed home. It would've been more effective, less inflammatory...and much less tragic, as it turned out. And, the Nazi protestors and the problems they cause would've gone away.

As I also said, I've seen it done, seen it happen. Been there, done that. For real. And it worked. Way better than this turned out to do. And we'd been lucky that worse, and more, hadn't happened already, given all the conflicts and inflamed gatherings, and "sides" that have been taken, and all that's gone on practically since Trump began campaigning for the presidency. Please don't tell me nobody saw something like this coming. It's exactly what everyone has feared having happen.

I'm sorry if I haven't addressed every aspect and nuance of every post. But I'll see if I can do it now:

Sure, I suppose there's always something to protest. Nothing, no one and nowhere is perfect. But in my opinion, there isn't much to do so about right now.

I, happily, happen to live a pretty damn good life, despite making less money than probably 90 percent of the people on this board. I cannot complain, and I won't. Most of the time, I count my blessings and know just how fortunate I am. If more people did that, well, there probably wouldn't be repeated demonstrations of the worst of ourselves, people generally wouldn't think they're better than somebody else, and we'd all just naturally be more inclined toward tolerance. Really, life, even for any down-and-out loser of a person among the pro-Confederate/pro-Nazi demonstrators, could be SO much worse. If people stopped to appreciate that, well, they'd probably stop demonstrating for pretty much no reason other than just because they can, instead of when they're actually oppressed -- you know, like the guy in the middle of the street in LTL's picture-post.

And yes, going into any scene that is built on, and feeds off of, a mob mentality, particularly with neo-Nazi, racist, white-supremacist, whatever leanings, is dangerous -- fuel added to fire, drinking mixed with driving, i.e. asking for trouble, etc. You all shouldn't pretend that that's not so, and that that's not the point I was trying to make just so you can jump to Heather Heyer's defense (as if she actually needs defending from me), and just so you can obtusely pretend that I'm saying she caused her own death. If you think that, well, then, again, you're not a good reader. And I don't even care about the permits! To say or think this situation was not ripe for trouble would be just...wrong.

And you, meanwhile, are a perfect paragon of virtue.:rolleyes:

You don't know me, JC. Clearly. Don't try to sound like you do.

Just because you have the right to do something doesn't always mean you should do it. The counter-protestors could have spoken their minds someplace else, sometime else, somehow else, etc. But, of course, all of you know that. I don't blame "them" for the violence. I blame the situation, and both sides. Trouble was brewed, tragedy was almost bound to happen, and it occurred. Why is everyone so surprised? If you actually are, that is.

I agree, and I think it's going to take a very long time for her to come out of shock.

I guess you can be proud your child took a public, active stand for what she believed in, and you should be proud that her principles fell on good/better side of this "fight." But that would not be my predominant sentiment in this situation, if my daughter had been killed there. I'd be overwhelmingly angry, and not all just at the neo-Nazis, either. You can bet I'd be wondering, probably yelling (at the heavens/her), "What the hell were you doing there?"

And I'd be doing it for years, and probably forever -- granted, that's a very difficult thing to conceptualize when it's just the day after your daughter has, really, died for nothing at the hands of a racist, unthinking, road-raging idiot the likes of whom she thought she was standing up to. Well, I'm afraid her principles and my pride both would be cold comforts to me in an instance such as this.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And as noted in the link Neutral Corner posted, he opened the statement with the economy - again. The man's a walking, talking delayed lede.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  4. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Trump is completely unfit for any office, let alone the Oval Office.

He's mentally ill. And relies on the support of Nazis, White supremacists and Russia.

If you still support him, you support all of those things.

Which side do you pick?

It's not a tough question.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

And to think a few months ago it was a dump ...

6. franticscribe

franticscribe Well-Known Member

There is no way for them to work within the system. Why? Because North Carolina's extremist, gerrymandered minority government made it illegal to remove monuments following the wave of removals in other states in 2015.

It's entirely predictable that when you kill democracy, citizens will begin taking direct action.

poindexter likes this.
  7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

See: the "Things I've Changed My Mind About" thread.

CD Boogie likes this.
  8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Damn. Two years he's been stalking you on this board. All for nothing. :(

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Looks like Fox Sports' disease has reached Fox News:

melock likes this.
  10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Also, accepting Twitter follows so you can act like a fucking idiot in a DM disease at play.

12. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is such a Smallpotatoes post. The looniest corners of the internet plainly are your favorite places to be.

But I did click. And it was unimaginably stupid. The first vid shown of someone striking at his car occurs as he's accelerating toward the crowd, he'd already made up his mind at that point. The later vid occurs as the car is beginning it's backup after it had just driven into a crowd and murdered--I'm pretty sure anyone's justified to do whatever the fuck they want to his car at that point.

And, regardless, there is no world where car damage justifies murdering a girl who did nothing to your car.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.