1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Things I believed impossible are happening thanks to Donald Trump, like the Tampa Bay Rays opening their checkbook.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I will go a step further - and I think this is where @LongTimeListener and I diverge, in particular - in that I think you have to be especially careful about this when writing about Trump, who has openly declared war with the media. You have to bend over backward to treat him fairly.

YankeeFan likes this.
  3. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

You've touched on something that played a major role in his being elected, a dynamic that has been around for a long time and has sucked in people who otherwise can seem fairly intelligent and fool-proof.

4. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Guess he got all the facts in from Barcelona in less than 48 hours. Weird that it took longer from Charlottesville.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Why would anyone be so unfair as to focus on the language used in a straight news story, by the paper of record?

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So would I, but claiming his support when he isn't around to give it was bullshit.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

By far the worst stories for Trump are merely depicting what comes out of his own mind. They're reprints of tweets, or they're like the Lester Holt interview, or the shitshow on Tuesday. No reporter has to bend in any direction to treat Trump fairly. He hangs himself with his words on a daily basis. He and his fans hate the "media" because they hate that fact.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

11. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

"Good" was your word choice, not mine. My use of it was only in referencing your phrasing.

And, frankly, I'm not sure why you seemed to react so personally to a post that was not intended as criticism (the hyperbolic statement was referencing a wider trend, it was not directed at you personally). And I did not do any more speculation than implicitly do all these characterizations that go well beyond the actual words spoken. In fact, the point Dick and I were making was emphasizing the opposite--that perhaps the left should not overplay its hand with speculative characterizations that stray too far beyond the actual words.

I'm now done with with this inane exchange.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2017
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Right. That's why you don't need to stretch with imprecise language. He does his own damage all on his own. We don't need to help.

HanSenSE, Stoney and QYFW like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.