1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

You're probably right. But I could gripe about it on here all day long or I could reach out to the reporters themselves to express my feelings about it. I chose ... both.

doctorquant likes this.
  3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No, he really won't, but he could certainly get his shot sooner rather than later.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Not sure if this has been posted, and I haven't watched the whole hour of it yet (you can skip forward 8 minutes of the video during the introductory remarks...), but Lewis Black gave a talk at the Chautauqua Institution last week. Pretty good. The opening was a bit political, so I am posting the video here:

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What else would you call it when a website puts globes around the names of Jewish people in headlines?

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Derailment warning! Incoming!

My mother started running back our genealogy in the mid-1960's. As a kid this was a mixed blessing... I can't tell you how many hours I spent dragged along on family trips which involved stomping around in old family cemeteries, often overgrown with briars, or digging around in record boxes in the attics of county courthouses without air-conditioning. In South Georgia, usually at the height of summer.

OTOH, we took a family trip to Washington, D.C. in 1967. Mother spent nearly every day of our two weeks there either in the Library of Congress or the National Archives. My father, little brother, and myself did the Smithsonian for a solid week, plus all the usual D.C. tourist sites. We were there during the Six Day War, driving past the Pentagon every day and then seeing reports from there on the news at night. It was surreal.

I look at all the computer access to family history today and know that much of it taps into the research of people like her, and I'm glad that her work lives on.

Riptide and Inky_Wretch like this.
  7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

This isn't over by a long stretch ... Bannon's role is just changing to outside consultant.

Bannon's billionaire meeting to plot a path forward

Bob Mercer and Steve Bannon had a five hour meeting Wednesday to plot out next steps, said a source withknowledge of the meeting.

They plotted strategy going forward — both political and media strategy. The meeting was at Mercer's estate on Long Island. Mercer had dinner the next night at Bedminster with President Trump and a small group of donors. The source said Mercer and Bannon "remain strong supporters of President Trump's and his agenda."

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

YF is going to be pissed.

melock likes this.
  9. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What?!

Thank you for your email. The Times has ended the role of public editor.

SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You've outlined why this is a such a brutal and maybe impossible set of problems to solve. The effects and counter effects and side effects... It's like a machine built to sustain itself at the cost of everything else. I don't know what the answer is. I'm not sure anybody knows. I suspect, in some way, the answers are small—you handle the small issues, the concrete fixes, like the removal of Confederate monuments, and you hope the larger situation starts to correct. But I have no idea if that's right. The problems are so systemic, I'm not sure they can be fixed. It's as though the US, built on its foundation of slavery, was doomed from the start because its start was so ignominious. Once lynching is part of your national history, what's the remedy? Those are wounds that maybe can't be healed.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.