1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Didn't he say something like you have to have a Jew to watch the money, or something like that?

Now, I think, in an odd way, he meant it as a compliment -- and a little bit as a joke. He buys into stereotypes. I'm sure he thinks Asians are good at math, and Germans are punctual too.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I told my wife the other day to try to get my mom to refer to bargaining with someone and see how she phrases it. But the idea that my mother would ever say "kike" or "heeb" or affirmatively express a prejudice against Jewish people, it wouldn't happen.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

One of my favorite artist is Dwight Yoakam. He's also acted in a lot of big Hollywood movies, including "Panic Room" and "Wedding Crashers." Here are the first few lines of his song "I Got You":

I've had to buy back damn near everything I own
    From a little man whose name is Saul
    And has a lot of money to loan

I've tried to find people talking about it on the Internet, but to no avail.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

My dad was the Archie Bunker, just short of using the N word type of guy. But god forbid anybody ever use the word Pollack (sp) around him.

Turns out, his side really wasn't from Poland. My uncle did some research - there were some very loose boundaries in eastern Europe around the turn of the century. Could have been any number of countries or regions we were from.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I think you meant to post this story about the Longhorns' defensive backs in the CFB thread

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Yep, Trump loves those coal miners!

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Bullshit. Quit trolling.

What I miss is Congress working together for the overall good of the country, when the other party was "the loyal opposition" and not a bunch of wildeyed idiots whose every idea had to be opposed tooth and nail unto death. You'll note that that sentence was non-partisan and applies to both sides. I keep hoping that the bitter partisanship we see now won't be permanent. The modern tendency to choose news sources which agree with a person's political views and reinforces them combined with the extreme edges of the party pressuring politicians (and primarying those deemed insufficiently doctrinaire) leaves me little hope that it will moderate.

My only real hope is the emergence of a genuinely moderate third party to play a deal making and deciding vote, and the history of third party politics makes that a slender reed indeed.

10. Dick Whitman

Whenever I see the "T" word, I stop reading.

QYFW likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yeah. Of course you do.

Please, just point me to a time where this was the case, and Democrats were the minority party.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What good has come about since that time then? You enjoy obstructionist government? Utterly failing to perform a simple task like vetting a Supreme Court justice for a year? If that was a Democratic Senate I'd be just as outraged. Do your f**cking job.

Deskgrunt50 and HanSenSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.