1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

False flag.

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I used to badger Mrs. Whitman pretty fiercely about whitewashing history for her second-graders, but that was a different era for us.

3. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

One of my favorite lines from the early New World era ... Pope Alexander VI ruled that the Americas were to be divided between Spain and Portugal, and France's Francis I said "I would very much like to see [this] clause of Adam’s will ...."

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

What irks me more than anything is the collective energy spent on statutes and monuments instead of spending those $$ on solving homelessness and medical care for those in need. Seriously.

I can live amongst statutes of Robert E. Lee and confederate flags in statehouses and nativity scenes if we devote our energies to the more basic problems confronting our fellow citizens. No its not immigrants with their hands out, its our own citizens, born, educated and raised here who have their hands out.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Englewood, always up to no good.

UPChip likes this.
  6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

It's unreal how he manages to screw up everything, even something as simple as this where all he had to do was put the glasses on and smile.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2017
    Starman likes this.
  7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

When he calls me out by name for saying something that I believe to be quite true, I consider him to be trolling me. I don't know if there's another poster on the board that he calls out personally more. I get tired of it.

I'm old enough to remember when there were powerful men on both sides of the aisle who would sit down over coffee (or bourbon) and figure out how to make a bargain to get legislation through. Sure the majority (whoever it was) got more of what they wanted, but generally the minority would be able to weaken what they found most objectionable, or get something else that they wanted done in exchange. Everything wasn't always war to the knife.

YF's problem is that he's not old enough to know what I'm talking about. Gingrich became Speaker in 1995, and with the exception of four years under Pelosi, all the speakers since have been Republicans. A little more balanced on the Senate side, where Harry Reid got eight years and Tom Daschle two as Senate majority leader since 1995, so that's ten under the D's and twelve under the R's.

I'm old enough to remember guys like George Mitchell (D) and Bob Dole (R) swapping back and forth from majority to minority leader over a period of years. Hell, I remember Conservative Democrats, guys like Sam Nunn of Georgia.

Congress is supposed to be deliberative, but it is not supposed to grind to a complete standstill because no one is willing to even be seen talking to the other side.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

One of these things is not like the others.

QYFW likes this.
  9. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

And Biden, I believe, racked up large tabs by commuting to Delaware on a pretty regular basis.

10. tapintoamerica

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Call me alt-left, but if I see any Confederate flags in a nativity scene I'm going to be pissed.

12. tapintoamerica

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.