1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

The KKK's huge resurgence in the 1920s/30s had very strong components of anti-Semitism and anti-Catholicism as well as white supremacy.

2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You are as knee-jerk partisan as anyone around here. Tied for first with about 50 other posters.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  3. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

This, from June. Still good.

HC likes this.
  4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Largely based on a rise in immigration from Southern and Eastern Europe.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You know what else has very strong, no, the strongest components of anti-Semitism?

There is not a single liberal or otherwise Democrat (Hi, Keith Ellison) who has any standing when it comes to talking about anti-Semitism. You've sold your soul to placate millions who follow an ideology that has at its core a belief in the destruction of the Jewish state.

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem with history. That should always be remembered and studied.

But I'm still waiting for someone like Trump to fully flesh out what he means when he says we're losing our heritage, as if we have to take the Confederacy's legacy wholesale as one giant chunk from which the good and the bad cannot be strained or separated. That because understanding the internal conflict Robert E. Lee went through when deciding on which side to serve is worthwhile, it means we also must have a statue of him in a park. That we must put the Confederacy's generals and leaders on public display complete with admiring words underneath for them to be cautionary tales.

I'm fine with taking a magnifying glass to the country's most infected historical spot, the oozing wound created when it refused to fully look the evil of human slavery in the eye. But for us to keep images and celebrations of the Confederacy in public halls and parks and buildings in the name of heritage, Donald Trump or someone like him needs to explain to me the value in it other than nostalgia. (You know what? I'll actually take nostalgia as an answer over the nothingburger word, heritage.) And I want something better than If we do this, other people will then do other, separate things that are bad, so don't do this.

What Donald Trump and people like him mean when they say we're losing our heritage is uglier. What they're saying is we'll stop celebrating Confederates. Replace losing our heritage with what they mean and it comes down to: If we tear down these statues, we'll eventually lose our admiration for these men who seceded from the United States of America. To which we should say, Good. How we ever came to celebrate them is beyond my understanding.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2017
  7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Why can't this energy and these resources ($$$) that are being spent on statutes and debates about statutes be spent on things that will more likely impact (and save) people's lives, like say food and medical care?? Or if you want to be conservative and say "no handouts, do it yourself", at least more educational opportunities for those disadvantaged, more community colleges and instructors or even more vocational programs available in the community?

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

They are going to wind up uniting hunters, anglers, mountain bikers, rock climbers, tree huggers and every other outdoorsman with this crap.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Bullshit. That's just another convenient trope of the fools trying to lump together everyone who has a political view they don't like.

Though I have voted for both parties on the local and national level, you consider me a liberal and/or Democrat, right? That means you think you have better standing to talk about anti-Semitism than a Jewish man like me? You're funny.

You are like the idiot who said something insensitive to me about Jewish people a few months and defended herself by claiming that she supports Israel, as if that's all Jews in this country care about. It isn't. You and she both need to wake up to that fact.

I'm an American and a Jew, not an Israeli.

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

This is one of the dumbest sentences ever written.

11. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You're silly.

12. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Especially since the current "president" had a flat-out Nazi guiding policy in the Oval Office for seven months and is quite plainly still heavily influenced by virulent anti-Semites who want to shove all the Jews in the ovens.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.