1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

His felony conviction, his loss of his voting rights, his disbarment, his fine, and his community service requirement remained in force.

So, yeah ... partial.

2. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Describe America in 2022. Who is president? Who has the majority in the Senate? In the House? What is the makeup of the Supreme Court? What is at the top of the list for what has to get done before the 2024 elections?

Where is our military, and what is it doing there? How's the economy? Who are the early front-runners for 2024? Is the GOP still talking about her emails and Benghazi?

What will be true that most people wouldn't think possible today? What would shock a time traveler from 2017? What would pleasantly surprise that person?

Is the internet as "free and open" as today?

Will you be posting from your self-driving car?

How will the sports world be different?

Who will be the head football coach at ...?

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We'll all be dead.

melock and Johnny Dangerously like this.
  4. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I think I know where the sword came from.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If I can make time for a nap in the next five years, I'll be happy.

6. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

No, Just like I have heard stories about probable flooding in New Orleans since I was little, I have also heard negative stories about arpaio, for a long time. He was a character for sure but a negative one.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So according to the Post, Trump asked Sessions if he could drop the Arpaio prosecution. Informed he wouldn't, Trump said he'd pardon him anyway. I don't mind being challenged on my opinions here, but let's face it. Trump is a racist. Arpaio would've been shot or hung by the Allies for what he did in Arizona if he'd done it in Nazi Germany. Trump is an evil man, and many of his supporters are evil people who're proud of it. I know this'll set Quant off, but really, white Americans (of whom I have the honor to be one) are one civilization's enemies.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Are you competing with @typefitter for the most ridiculous post of the day?

SpeedTchr and YankeeFan like this.
  9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Man, own what you support. Treason, racism, fascism. Own it. Or renounce it. Your choice, and I'm not saying you won't make the right one. But recognize the situation. It's amazing how fast white men come on this board to defend their kind against their obvious tendencies. Everyone on the planet is race conscious. Inescapable part of human nature, unfortunately. But not all humans act on that consciousness in a way to oppress other humans. Arpaio did. To me, that's a crime against humanity, and he deserves what happened to the Nuremberg defendants.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Shut up, nutbag. I don't support Trump. I won't even argue with the general idea that he's not much of a human being. But your extrapolation skills need work.

And remember, as a white man, you cannot be trusted. Your opinions are foolish.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. There were some negative stories, going all the way back to 1997/1997. The tents were just as hot then as they were 20 years later. The DOJ investigated conditions in his jails back then too. And the Phoenix New Times wrote critical articles about him as well.

Which makes the national media, who dubbed him "America's Toughest Sheriff", even more complicit.

If they had dug around, instead of just doing puff pieces, they would have learned this.

And, let's be clear. I wasn't Fox News who made him a star. Fox News didn't launch until late 1996, and wasn't what it is now for a while.

Mainstream, national media made Joe Arpaio a star despite his flaws.

12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

National Media, circa 1996: Meet Joe Arpaio, "America's Toughest Mayor".

Public, circa 1996: Wow. He sounds amazing. We really admire this guy.

National Media circa 2017: Joe Arpaio is a despicable racist, who refuses to follow judicial orders. Anyone who has ever admired him is obviously also a racist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.