1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

LOL. Verrit sounds like fun.

I'm glad to see Hillary endorses them.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lakefront likes this.
  2. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Useful summary of DACA here -- What you should know about DACA and Dreamers -- and I fully agree with the ERLC and Baptist groups who are opposed to deporting any of the DACA-affected people. Why on earth would we want to send these folks back to somewhere they are not from?

SnarkShark likes this.
  3. YankeeFan

I knew this story was bullshit the minute I read your post.

Here's what the source article on this said:

She said she hoped U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials would take pity and grant her a humanitarian visa so that she could come to Houston and bury her son, but she was turned back at the border.

Missing volunteer pulled from Cypress Creek

I mean, c'mon. humanitarian visas are not granted at border crossings.

She never applied for a visa to enter and bury her son. Yet, you used this #FakeNews as evidence that Trump is a bigot, and so is anyone who supports him.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

If illegal immigration was truly a problem in this country, we would be arresting the people/prosecuting the companies hiring illegal immigrants.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
  5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

And have white people in jail? That's not how this is supposed to work.

FileNotFound likes this.
  6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Denials from Customs and Border Patrol are not totally credible.

7. YankeeFan

You know, I try to be polite, but there's not only no evidence that she applied for a visa, there's not even a claim.

The Chronicle talked to her, and this is what they reported: She said she hoped U.S. Customs and Border Protection officials would take pity and grant her a humanitarian visa so that she could come to Houston and bury her son, but she was turned back at the border.

She doesn't even claim that she made a request for a visa.

So, come back with, as a minimum, some reporting that she did try to get a visa, and was turned down, or retract your false claim.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Had to be an oversight. Couldn't possibly have been on purpose.

9. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Bingo!!! Seems so simple, I wonder why we never hear of it. I heard a story of someone wanting construction work and when they went to apply-or whatever they did-they found that there were "illegals" taking the jobs. For one thing that person could have filed a complaint to try to get those people out so a "real american" could have the job. (a little sarcasm intended) So why is it that we never hear of this solution. If there were no jobs being given to them, instead of citizens, maybe most would not come here looking for the opportunity.
    Why don't we punish the people who give them jobs? Or is that solution too simple and I am missing the obvious.

Couple things I can think of is the obvious need for the workers. In my area "tobacco" was filled with teens working it in the summer, now I see "brown people" doing the work. Are they keeping jobs away from the teens of today? I will ask them as soon as they get off their phones.
    The other problem I see is that politicians don't want to loose the votes of all those business people that the are going to punish for supplying the jobs to these people.

I would really like opinions on going after the "demand" side of the problem. Did not work in drugs or alcohol, but those are totally different things

FileNotFound likes this.
  10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Even following the law to the letter vis-a-vis hiring immigrants is an absolute pain. When I ran a business, we spent an inordinate amount of time keeping paperwork in order, which was ridiculous because in my small town everybody was from there. We never hired anybody we hadn't known for 20 years because there was nobody other than people we'd known for 20 years!

Now, of course, it's an even bigger pain. My department conducted a search for a new assistant professor of X last year. Getting higher-up approval to even do a search is about a year-long process, then there's another six to eight months of preliminary visits, campus visits, etc., before you actually make the offer ... and only when an offer has been accepted can you inquire about employment eligibility.

Which is why, two weeks before the start of the semester, we found ourselves cancelling classes because our hire has yet to secure a visa. We're told this hire possibly will be here in the spring. But if not we'll have to go through the whole approval/recruiting process again ... another two years and another roll of the green card dice.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

YF, the President lies like we breathe. Any and all announcements from the executive branch are suspect because the boss is such a liar he might be delusional. They said LBJ had a credibility gap. Trump has the Marianas Trench, and therefore, so do the agencies he directs.

HanSenSE and heyabbott like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.