1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

She has the wrong philosophy ... her kids should be locked away in a camp. Or so I'm told ...

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The HuffPost headline is nonsense anyway.

How many MLB games did Theo Epstein play?

I hate "they never played the game" arguments.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I don't want to give it away, but the response from some to the help she provided to the students she mentored, and their families, is... predictable.

4. YankeeFan

That's why my favorite poem has always been Wilfred Owen's Dulce et Decorum Est:

WILFRED OWEN - DULCE ET DECORUM EST, Text of poem and notes

5. doctorquant

I don't remember when that HuffPost piece actually was linked here (it was a while back). If I recall correctly it was a little bit of "whataboutism" with respect to some previous (but enlightened) administration's SecEd who had ... wait for it ... never attended a public school either.

6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Baseball players know more about what it's like to play baseball than people who don't play baseball. They might not be as skilled at quantitative analysis or putting together a batting order, but they know more about how the game is played and they certainly know more about the life of a baseball player.

Someone in charge of public schools should probably have gone to a public school.

7. doctorquant

The practice of obstetrics should be limited to women who've had children.

8. typefitter

No, but I'd wager that women who have given birth understand more about what it's like to give birth than men.

The counter to the "never played the game" argument is that someone with years of experience knows more about a subject than someone who doesn't.

Do I understand the mechanics and physics of the curveball? Yes.

Do I understand it the way Barry Zito does? No. And it would be ridiculously arrogant and anti-expert for me to think that I do.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Looks like somebody might be against booting Dreamers.

10. YankeeFan

Is the Education Secretary "in charge of public schools"?

I'm starting to wonder if a Canadian should comment on American politics.

11. typefitter

I dunno. Should a coffee-machine repairman comment on journalism?

12. YankeeFan

You can be for creating a pathway to citizenship for Dreamers -- which DACA doesn't do -- and also acknowledge that DACA is not a policy that can work long term, or that the DOJ can defend in court against the lawsuits that have been filed against it.

Trump isn't revoking anyone's status. He's -- eventually -- going to stop renewing the status.

If Congress wants to act on this, they have plenty of time.

And, if it's a priority for them, they will come to Trump with a compromise that includes some of his priorities.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.