1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The "never went to public schools" argument is stupid. Here endeth the lesson.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Gosh. This is the first time anyone's raised this issue.

It's worth considering.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's why the best players become the best coaches, right? And why pilots design airplanes

Dick Whitman likes this.
  4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I know you feel this way. We've been over it. I know it's why you get testy when people criticize magazine pieces. (I'm not trying to make this personal - you've stated this expressly, during calm discussions.) And people wield it against @YankeeFan all the time, as if the audience for journalism is other journalists not ... readers like @YankeeFan.

Re: DeVos, I guess it's a data point. I guess. But I don't know how valuable of a data point it is. It's certainly not disqualifying. I covered Juan Uribe, who couldn't remember his agent's name. He knows "what it's like to play baseball," though. Not sure how valuable that is. Not sure I'd want him in a front-office role.

My wife is a second-grade public school teacher. I have no doubt she would be on your side of this. And I wouldn't argue that experience isn't valuable, particularly in certain circumstances - the notion that it isn't is what got us into the current mess in the first place. But going to Eastside High three decades ago? I'm not sold that it matters.

(I'm no DeVos fan. I just don't find this particular argument very convincing. FWIW, I attended public schools through 12th grade, then a private college, then a public university law school, then a private university law school.)

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Holy fuck, this is a stupid argument. I'm literally trying to argue that some people know things better than other people.

You know what? Sometimes the best players do become the best coaches. Zinedine Zidane is a great example. Sometimes they don't. Wayne Gretzky is a great example. But every great coach understands the game better than the average ding dong, and every great coach has been involved in the game they coach since they were a child.

EDIT: This is a response to Rick, by the way. I was writing it before I saw Dick's response.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I have a feeling we're not actually talking about Betty Devos any more.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Message board arguments as a whole are stupid. And that's a lesson nobody here - myself included - ever remembers.

Johnny Dangerously likes this.
  8. typefitter

We're talking about everyone who thinks they are an expert in everything. It's a fairly obvious trend that I think is anti-wisdom and anti-expertise. I don't know why people presume they know as much as someone who obviously knows more, or that their opinion is as valid. I find it a really weird trait.

dixiehack likes this.
  9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

She wore $1,000 dresses to mentor a child who came to school hungry. She refused to park her car in the school's parking lot. She bought the girl's mom a car. At the conclusion she paid for the girl to go to a private school. She is the same combination of patronizing and ineffectual liberal do-gooders are often correctly accused of by the right.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

To ensure quality journalism, the practice should be limited to graduates of journalism programs, who then pass an industry test, before being given their licence to practice.

Where'd you get your journalism degree @typefitter?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Prior to 1980, somehow this country got by without a bloated "Department of Education" that costs tens of billions of dollars per year. ... and we managed to educate kids -- by most measures better than we educate them today with the mess we have created. Maybe it doesn't matter WHAT background the person in charge of that costly, bureaucratic mess has.

12. typefitter

I don't think you're necessarily wrong that journalism should be a licensed profession. I learned on the job. I was probably given more responsibility early than I should have been. I can accept that.

I drink coffee. Should I tell you how to do your job? No, because you know far more about machines and how they work than I do. I wouldn't dream about telling you how to repair coffee machines or, further down the line, how to run a small business. Because I've done neither.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.