1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"I'll show you the science paper ..." LOL

YankeeFan and QYFW like this.
  2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

DeVos proved herself ignorant of even very basic issues in education during the confirmation process. What she has done for decades is try to undermine public education because she wants the government to pay for her faith to be pushed on kids in school.

She used her financial resources to help out two poor families? Lovely. I don't care if she is a nice person. I care that she isn't qualified for the job Trump gave her. I care that it is yet another conflict of interest in his administration. I care that she doesn't know enough about education to do the job.

YF's entire argument was based on two nice stories and a bad rhetorical tactic somebody somewhere used in opposing DeVos. I don't know who said she had literally never set foot inside a public school and I don't care. I will happily denounce that rhetorical tactic and give it the lack of attention it deserves.

What results are you going to use to judge her, YF? If national test scores go up this year, are you going to try to give her credit even though there is no way any policy she pushed would have an impact that quickly? Why yes, I'm sure you would. Of course, if they go down, then it isn't her fault in your eyes.

This is just the latest bit of evidence that YF will support anything Trump does and anybody he appoints to any job.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

DeVos probably has a black friend, too.

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

I keep picturing one of those signs, like on the safety bulletin board where you work, in the lobby of her office: XX days since the last grizzly bear attack on an American school.

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There you go.

Liberals love a good government program.

DeVos actually volunteered her time for five years as a mentor in a public school. She developed a real connection with the kids she mentored and helped them in ways that went well beyond the parameters of a mentoring program.

What kind of difference would we see if more of us did what she did, instead of waiting for the government to do something?

Meanwhile, Tim Cook and Mark Zuckerberg are liberals in good standing because they support DACA and the liberal government agenda, but their cafeteria workers and janitors live like second class citizens.

Fuck them. They're in a position to do something for people.

How about someone call on them to directly employ these workers, with full benefits, and the same insurance plans offered to all employees of these companies?

Or, are they too valuable as donors for any liberal politician to criticize them, or push them on the issue?

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

"This is TSP, he's an idiot."

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

So says a miserable human being.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Tired ≠ miserable.

9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Her 5 years, let's get more specific, how many hours per week? That's really what matters, correct? (I was a PTA officer and president, then board member for local public foundation for 7 years, so I'm talking from experience.)

Let's stop with these generalities, get more specific. Tell me what good she's doing NOW for public schools; not some general story about her volunteering 40 years ago.

11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Fuck Cook, DeVos, and Zuckerberg. OK?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.