1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let's all stipulate that @qtlaw is a nice, and sincere -- if somewhat naïve -- guy.

And, what should we stipulate about Betsy DeVos? Are you willing to say anything nice about her? Or are you determined to demonize her because, though you may have the same goals, she thinks there's a different, better way to achieve those goals than you do?

And, while I don't know how many hours she put in over five years, I know she made a difference in the lives of two girls, and their families. That's more than most of do. And, if more of us did this, maybe we wouldn't need the government to do so much (including things the government isn't very good at doing).

You really should listen to the story, btw. The woman who talks about the church based mentoring program that DeVos participated in talks about how their Church is very white, and how they really didn't interact with a lot of poor people of color, and how this program was specifically designed to encourage them to have these interactions.

Again, that's a good thing. These people live(d) their values.

It's easy to be a keyboard warrior. We should give some credit to the folks willing to put the time in to make their communities better.

2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Not on trumps best day.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Did you read it, or are you just knee-jerking to the headline, which is in now way racist either? But there has to be a reason for such a ridiculous response to what I posted.

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Private, individual action is one thing. Seeking to impose your particular religious views on an entire country of kids is another. And it is wrong.

5. YankeeFan

I hear a lot of fuck DeVos, but she's put in the time and money to try and make a difference, even if you disagree with her.

I don't ever hear fuck Cook or fuck Zuckerberg or fuck Schmidt or fuck Sandberg from the left.

Democrat politicians, including your last nominee were up their asses. But, they could make an immediate difference in the lives of thousands of workers on their campuses overnight if they chose to. They don't need a government program to force them to treat their contract workers with dignity and respect, or to pay them a wage that would allow them to live somewhere other than a garage.

But, while they run incredibly profitable companies, and are personally worth billions, they won't do this.

But, Betsy DeVos and Donald Trump are evil? Fuck that.

Make a difference where you can. Stop waiting for the government to improve peoples' lives. It's not going to happen.

6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Is there a list of whom they should be granted to?

7. YankeeFan

Interesting take. I wonder if others agree.

Sure, Obama's popular, and may be able to rally folks to fight this, but he's also a good foil for Trump, and every minute that he, Clinton, and/or Sanders remains as the face of the party, it prevents other potential leaders from breaking through.

8. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's racist.

9. YankeeFan

Who suggested that was a good thing?

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

You guys are trying but facts get in the way. De Vos hammered Michigan public education. There are stats,, But the attitude of moral superiority based on being a snotty white male, that's on you. At what point do you guys go from contrarians to racists monsters?

cranberry likes this.
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Go to bed, Gee.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.