1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Part of the problem today is that if you can't agree on what facts are facts, then you'll never agree on what they mean. It's like we've taken a step back from disagreement in interpretation. We're now disagreeing on what should be interpreted.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

It's not necessarily the reliability of the number, it's the method by which the number was arrived at. What counts as a live birth? If country X calculates its infant mortality using one definition and Y calculates it using another, they're going to have different rates even if there's no underlying difference. Further, I don't think one is ill-advised to assume that Cuba is going to adopt a fairly generous (for it) methodology.

FileNotFound likes this.
  3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And how to wear an obscene amount of denim.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Crawfordsville is one of the worst speed traps in eastern Arkansas.

5. typefitter

Right. I'm assuming the CIA somehow vets the numbers it uses. This could be a poor assumption. But I'm more likely than most here, I suspect, to have faith in data from government institutions.

EDIT: I realize I just said I trust the CIA, and I realize exactly how dumb that sounds.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Exactly. I think that is dangerous.

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Thing is, I'm not even disputing the number.

I'm disputing that its simply being lower is a good thing. It's not. It's artificially lower, due to some pretty heinous things, including an abortion rate almost twice that of the U.S.

In Cuba, an Abundance of Love but a Lack of Babies

8. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

The evening drive show on KFAN in Minneapolis has a special guest named "Carl Gerbschmidt," who checks off every Packers fan stereotype: whiny, entitled, defensive, accent, "owner." It's a bit (I think), but as a Packers fan I cringe whenever the segment comes on because it has a ton of truth to it.

9. typefitter

This is a fair point. I can see how infant mortality is a tricky statistic, although, like life expectancy, I do think it's often used to compare relative levels of national health.

On that measure, by the way, the U.S. ranks 31st at 79.3 years. Interestingly, Cuba ranks 32nd, at 79.1.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Life expectancy is really not a good indicator of "national health," either. Far too many confounds -- e.g., vehicle accidents and gun violence -- are in play in it.

amraeder likes this.
  11. typefitter

So we use... Broccoli consumption per capita?

12. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I moved to Minnesota two years ago. I'd agree that Franken gets generally good marks. He typically does the proverbial legwork and kept a low profile for a while, though after releasing his book he seems to be emerging from that shell. It's worth noting that he didn't just decide to run because, but credits a lot of it as picking up the torch for Paul Wellstone, who was a close personal friend, apparently.

Ventura's time as governor has been pretty heavily derided. Without a base to get an agenda moving, it seemed as if he got erratic and had a tendency to take his frustrations out on the media.

Deskgrunt50 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.