1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

We've now reached the point where Clay Travis gets profiled by Politico. I look forward to that site's thinkpiece about this thread.

‘This Is Bad for America, But Great for Us’

YankeeFan likes this.
  2. dirtybird

dirtybird Well-Known Member

A reminder: the one calling everyone snowflakes is the one getting offended at folks not acting politically correct. Becuase everything is meaningless.

I'm not kneeling because that's not a personal sort of protest I'm engaged in. I'm also not standing becuase I'm out here thinking of servicemen or the cops and other folks whose feelings are fluffed by that. I'm standing because of peer pressure and because it's easy.

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

"Taxpayers in the bottom 95 percent of the income distribution would see average after-tax incomes increase between 0.5 and 1.2 percent," the TPC's report said. "Taxpayers in the top 1 percent (incomes above $730,000), would receive about 50 percent of the total tax benefit; their after-tax income would increase an average of 8.5 percent."

Its about time the 1%ers caught a break.

6. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Here's the thing about all of that ... a very, very large proportion of people either: A) don't pay any federal income taxes (note that I'm not talking about payroll taxes); or B) don't pay very much. And a very, very small proportion of people pay a shitpile in federal income taxes. We can debate the justice of this or that all we want. But this idea that a given tax "reform" (and I deliberately use the scare quotes there) is somehow invalid if high-income people get a big break seems misplaced. Of course they're going to be the ones who benefit. They're the ones who pay the taxes!

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Hmmmmmm, who are the Snowflakes again?

In the past few days, I have received death threats and had cancer wished upon me by the same people who claim to be great patriots. I’ve had people say that they should have executed me on the field. People are threatening my life because the idea that someone who looks like me would act against racism upsets them so much.

9. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Do you think those people need a tax break?

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Probably doesn't matter. A $5.8 trillion tax cut for the wealthy that doesn't begin to pay for itself doesn't stand a chance. Seems like a silly exercise the way it's playing out.

It's really too bad the GOP doesn't seem interested in taking bipartisan efforts at both healthcare and taxes, because that's the only way either of those big-ticket items are going to ever get done.

11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The average household income for a one percenter is about a million and a half. Move it around however you want based on what criteria you use.
    I honestly feel this way - this country offers so much. To be a one percenter, you are truly living a blessed life. It honestly just looks so unseemly for one percenters to complain about taxes. This country does so much to provide the opportunity to earn a great income. And asks for practically nothing. People before us have sacrificed with their lives to get to where we can do what we do in 2017. The complaining I hear from the one percenters/about the tax burden of the one percenters honestly almost makes me ill. You look petty. And small.
    I am between a 10 percenter and a five percenter. My taxes will undoubtedly go up. Especially, living in California, if the state tax exemption is taken. But my life isn't going to change writing a larger April 15 check. And I work among 1%ers. Their life sure as fuck isn't going to change one iota.

I am actually lucky I am in a position to make this money. It was all paved before me. People lost their lives in WW I, WW II, so I can speak english, not German. My state education was subsidized by someone else. Someone paid for the roads I drive to work. I truly appreciate all that. Someone else did it. I didn't. And now, through my work, my wife and I don't have to ever worry about having money in the bank to cover a check. I am thankful for that.

Its just my opinion - maybe its tainted by the people I work around. One percenters complaining about paying more taxes, while living the life they do, is just one of the most ugly, pettiest things I can think of.

12. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.