1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

By the Republican credo, a Gold Star Family should be afforded the height of American respect. But because of their blind devotion to Trump, and no doubt at least in part because this particular Gold Star Family is black, they're going to side with President Bone Spur over them. It's disgusting.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It does when you have narcissistic personality disorder and the early stages of dementia.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'd ask you to explain, but I'm deathly afraid of you giving one of your boring old war stories about when you were an assistant prof.

Riptide likes this.
  4. RickStain

There is no Republican credo, besides "lol triggered libs" and "white power."

They're already admitting they have zero intention of lowering the deficit.

Smallpotatoes likes this.
  5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I don't think you need years and years of this stuff to know how to speak to somebody whose loved one just died. Just a little humanity is all that's required. Has Trump never attended a funeral?

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Neither have I, but I can at least paraphrase General Marshall's letter from "Saving Private Ryan" (which is what I did).

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Oh, I think it takes more than you'd think. When I have to go to funerals, I'm always nervous as a cat at greeting the bereaved. I want to strike the right tone, say the right thing, not say the wrong thing ... now imagine doing that with total strangers, while also trying to do it "professionally" (i.e., in line with the expectations of your assigned role).

8. doctorquant

Back when I was an assistant prof, I knew some people who acted like dicks when engaged in debate.

Maybe try to quit emulating them.

Dick Whitman and SpeedTchr like this.
  9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I'll regard your advice in the same manner as I regard your glory days prof stories.

10. RickStain

There is nothing to debate. The president of the United States is a mentally ill man who is wildly incapable of performing even the most basic duties of his office and who has an uncanny knack for hiring people with ties to white nationalist fascism.

The only people trying to debate anything are the ones hoping that getting bogged down in the woods several degrees away from that point will innoculate the Republican brand from the damage it is causing.

11. doctorquant

Well you just have yourself a ball, then!

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We've had multiple posters here come up with more empathetic statements off the top of their heads.

Either way, I'll rephrase: It doesn't take a lot of prep work to learn how to avoid fighting with and/or disrespecting Gold Star families in public.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.