1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Gosh, I wonder why a general and Gold Star parent would suggest a POTUS not call families of KIAs?

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I feel sorry for you. I've slipped at times and snarked back, but I have really had more patience than anyone else here trying to walk you through arguments on thread after thread after thread for year after year after year, trying to help you get more out of this. You'll never get it, though. You're either not capable, obstinate, or just kind of a huge dick.

I really do feel sorry for you.

LongTimeListener, JC and Stoney like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

"Why don't you sit this one out, Mr. President?"

doctorquant likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Hoo boy.

Trump shouldn't have come within 20 miles of winning. He's the most incompetent president we've ever seen! He won because white Democrats who wouldn't voted for Romney in 20 years flipped to Trump.

And I'm happy to talk about why black voters didn't vote. I've talked about it before. Might as well start here:

Why Hillary Clinton Doesn’t Deserve the Black Vote

Some might argue that it’s unfair to judge Hillary Clinton for the policies her husband championed years ago. But Hillary wasn’t picking out china while she was first lady. She bravely broke the mold and redefined that job in ways no woman ever had before. She not only campaigned for Bill; she also wielded power and significant influence once he was elected, lobbying for legislation and other measures. That record, and her statements from that era, should be scrutinized. In her support for the 1994 crime bill, for example, she used racially coded rhetoric to cast black children as animals. “They are not just gangs of kids anymore,” she said. “They are often the kinds of kids that are called ‘super-predators.’ No conscience, no empathy. We can talk about why they ended up that way, but first we have to bring them to heel.”

Both Clintons now express regret over the crime bill, and Hillary says she supports criminal-justice reforms to undo some of the damage that was done by her husband’s administration. But on the campaign trail, she continues to invoke the economy and country that Bill Clinton left behind as a legacy she would continue. So what exactly did the Clinton economy look like for black Americans? Taking a hard look at this recent past is about more than just a choice between two candidates. It’s about whether the Democratic Party can finally reckon with what its policies have done to African-American communities, and whether it can redeem itself and rightly earn the loyalty of black voters.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Yes, but only in that it's not about HIM. Grieving people get upset, sometimes unreasonably so.

Normal, empathetic, non-delusionally narcissistic people understand that and act accordingly.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Notice how that had to be forced into the conversation before you got there? Your default was "stop making people like me uncomfortable."

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Dickie, spare me the condescending bullshit. I'm not buying it and it just makes you look like an ass. I have no desire or need for your faux sympathy. It would be a lovely change of pace for you to simply acknowledged that what you did was incorrect. You made up part of a quote. Anybody seeing that post without the full context could have easily thought that it was a real quote.

Edit: You know, I'll skip the last bit. You're just not worth it.

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Be that as it may. It's still not white people's decision to make.

I mean, offensiveness itself is rooted in an individual's emotional reaction to something. Not sure why your opinion matters, but of course you're allowed to have one.

No, I would not. But don't kid yourself into thinking the congresswoman didn't have the express permission and support of the widow to do this, before she did it.

If it turns out I'm wrong and Wilson made this public without the family's knowledge, I will sufficiently denounce her for doing so.

9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is that all he said?

10. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Hasn't he used a version of this before? I remember liking it then.

11. Dick Whitman

It makes me want to stab myself 1,000 times in the jugular that @bigpern23 thinks that you and I are equivalent.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Is that all he said?

Also, too, it seems Rep. Wilson is a family friend and personally knew the Green Beret since he was a kid. I didn't know that during the initial blast of controversy. Kind of paints this in a different light.

Double Down likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.