1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just the facts ma am

Just the facts ma am Well-Known Member

The Republican tax plan sounds OK to me.

Republicans Release Tax Plan, Cutting Corporate and Middle-Class Taxes

Tax brackets for people earning $24,000 to $90,000 at 12%, down from 25% maximum. Millionaires do not get a tax bracket cut.

Future home purchases will have the mortgage interest capped at $5oo,ooo purchase price. If you can afford a $500,000 house you don't need this.

Eliminates the medical expense deduction. No more subsidies for bad health.

Repeals the estate tax. Nobody you know pays this anyway, seem fair that you shouldn't have to pay taxes twice.

Limits to state and local tax deduction. Affects me the most living in the People's Republic of CA, but if you are stupid enough to vote to increase your local taxes you shouldn't get a federal deduction for it.

Global minimum corporate tax rate of 10%. Goes after shifting profits abroad.

On the negative side, a huge increase in the deficit.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Here's the issue. Whatever eventually gets to the Senate cannot increase the deficit by more than the $1.5 trillion allowed for in the budget resolution, or it can't be passed through reconciliation, meaning Democrats can filibuster it. But the cuts equal far, far more than that in lost revenue. In fact, despite the revenue raisers in the House bill, it doesn't come close to it. Ryan's plan is just like health care. Pass something, anything without caring whether it can pass the Senate or not. Then if it doesn't, Mitch gets the blame, not him. BTW, the leading realtor and small business trade associations have gone on record opposing the House bill. Those are very Republican groups.

3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Point, Creosote.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That alone should disqualify it from passing.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Well, the realtors because it cuts the cap on mortgage interest from a mil to $500K. Crony capitalism works both ways. Give them something because they grease you, they oppose it when you try to take it away.

I am not sure why small business trade associations would oppose this. But maybe I am thinking about it wrong and not correctly understanding whatever crony capitalism interests those groups have. But off the top of my head, it will slash the pass though rate to 25 percent (something I personally would benefit from). I willbet that 90 percent + small businesses already pass through their income at a rate lower than that. So it isn't a benefit. It also won't hurt them. Same with the corporate rate down to 20 percent on non S Corps. That won't hurt any business either relative to current rates.

6. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Small businesses are often owned by the persons in the income brackets most hurt by the provisions hitting individuals in this bill.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I was pointing out the flaw in your logic, not quoting your thoughts. Honestly, I don't find the prospect of delving into your mental process appealing.

heyabbott likes this.
  8. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

When exactly were unrealized capital gains taxed the first time?

9. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

That people who minimize, in any way, the corrosive effect trump is having on the country and planet are the causation of the problem for which trump is a symptom. Those people are deplorable, and it’s a pejorative. Any excuse for trump or rationalization for trump comes from emotionally and intellectually stunted people. I just never knew there were so many.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

But here's the deal. None of these places poses as the beacon of all that's good and right in the world and for the world. They're fine in saying, "We're doing X because X is in the explicit best interests of our state. Period." Without bringing up the whole "for the good of the world and democracy :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: and yada yada yada" nonsense into it.

NK doesn't want nukes to blow up other places. It wants nukes so it won't be attacked. That ipso facto is not evil. It's normal.

Russia doesn't want a "sphere of influence" in eastern Europe because it wants to reinvent the Soviet Union. It wants to protect itself by not having NATO bases up its ass on every border and by having SOME say on what goes on in its bordering countries. That ipso facto is not evil. It's normal.

At some point we MUST accept that it is normal for other nations to act in their own interests without slapping the "evil" tag on them. It's a recipe for war and conflict and the very things we claim to be against.

We have some 700 military bases in 70 countries around the world. Russia has bases in . . . four

Maybe, just maybe, instead of declaring ourself the policeman of the world we should go back to FDR's idea.

Four Policemen - Wikipedia

Last edited: Nov 2, 2017
  11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

That's not why North Korea is considered evil.

12. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.