1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Seems fine.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

I covered Falwell for years, and I didn't really see this heel turn coming. He was very reasonable in the first few years after his dad died. But his ego has grown to ridiculous levels.

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Yup. The average effective tax rate superimposed over GDP (to the extent GDP has ever been measured accurately and honestly and in a consistent way -- which it hasn't) might tell something. It wouldn't however tell as much as some people will want to for their politicized reasons, because a lot of factors stifle economic growth more than the level of taxation, and those factors have come and gone and gotten less and more onerous over time.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Wait - this is a different Falwell? God, I am terribly behind on my televangelical shitheads.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I think this is a complicated thing that we can't come close to really grasping unless we're going to talk about voter suppression. Trump won Wisconsin by 27,000 votes.

165,000 people were turned away from the polls.

Did she do enough to "energize" people who simply weren't allowed to cast votes for her, even though those people previously could vote for Obama?

Lindy West had a really interesting column today about being angry as a woman about the standards you're forced to live up to, even as almost no men are forced to live up to the same ones. Clinton was a flawed candidate, but every male candidate has flaws, and none of them are deemed fatal the way her flaws were. Would another woman have beaten Trump? Maybe. Would another man? Maybe. I'm off the belief that she would have made an excellent president, and more people voted for her in the primaries, not because they were "rigged" but because they like her more. It was time for liberals to put up or shut up and have a female candidate. She should have won and didn't. The reasons are complicated, not simple.

lakefront likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Do I need to include a copy Le Monde in the picture?

[​IMG]

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Good post. And voter complacency was another issue. So many thought the result was a foregone conclusion. At least among the people in my circle in Virginia, there was a huge sense of urgency yesterday to vote. I don't remember feeling that way last year.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  8. poindexter

Don't buy it. Every presidential party nominee is dragged through the coals. Kerry was swiftboated. Bush II was an idiot. Obama was a Muslim (and much worse, if you read the local municipality emails that leaked out).
    She has a very flawed, hard-to-like personality. So do many dudes. She lost the race she had to win. Everything else is excuse-making.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

The old man died in 2007.

The city editor at my first paper used to shit bricks when his name was mentioned. Wouldn't allow him to be referred to as Dr. Jerry Falwell in print.
    Covered a game at Liberty years ago, heard him call a ref a "f--- up" and a shithead.
    Class dude.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So Rick Perry's "Oops" moment wasn't a flaw, or it wasn't deemed fatal, or ... wait. Was I confused about Perry being a man?

11. poindexter

Clear photoshop. Clearly the Chicago river

12. melock

melock Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.