1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The race in Alabama won't be determined by energized Democrats. The remaining shreds of the Democratic party here are ineffectual, venal, and a feudal fiefdom of one man, Joe Reed. No one who does not kiss his ring gets anywhere in state Democratic politics.

If Moore loses, and it's still probably 60-40 that he wins, it will be because standard issue business type Republicans are unable to stomach being represented by him. They'll have to vote their brain or their heart, but most of all they'll have to get off the couch and go vote for a Democrat. That's a big ask here. The other side of the coin is that this is the first time in decades that a Democrat had any chance to win this seat.

2. Neutral Corner

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The best thing Jones has going for him is that there is no other reason for Republicans to go to the polls besides voting for or against Moore. Makes it easier for them to stay home.

Dems may have thought they had a shot in Utah given Trump's low numbers last year, of course they forget the Evan McMullin took away a lot of GOP voters in the district. That's a pretty messed up district. Salt Lake City to the southeastern corner of the state? Just checked, all four Utah congressional districts touch Salt Lake County - that is some messed up gerrymandering.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  4. Neutral Corner

The ones who stay home because they refuse to vote for Moore help, but not nearly as much as if they went out and voted against him. I don't think that that Jones gets enough votes otherwise.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Two things I believe here:

1. Jones has about a 10 percent chance of winning.
    2. The DNC should still put money into this race and fight like holy hell and send in everyone from Obama to Oprah and make it clear, even if they do not win, that they the GOP better be prepared to defend every seat that's potentially up in the air.

bigpern23 likes this.
  6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Yeah, I saw that site and thought ... whoo, boy!

7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Evergreen post.

Inky_Wretch and Double Down like this.
  8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. Neutral Corner

I think that the DNC should give Jones all the funding he wants and let him run things. Bringing in the DNC's big guns will only cause stiff necked resistance here. McConnell ran a ton of ads for Luther Strange, and all that did was paint him as a swamp creature. Bringing in Obama and Pelosi, et al, would be like tying a concrete block to his ankle and yelling "Swim faster!".

Take a look at this recent ad of his. It starts at Little Round Top and moves to invoke getting things done via compromise. Try to find "Democrat" anywhere in it.
    Doug Jones cites Civil War history in new campaign ad: 'There's honor in compromise'

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Agree Dems should pour everything they can into this race, even if the chance of winning is slim.

But does sending in Obama help or hurt in Alabama?

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Obama is well-liked even by people who didn't vote for him. It's not "Obama and Pelosi, et al." There is no scenario where Nancy goes to Tuscaloosa. But if President Obama held a rally there, I disagree that it would hurt. If you could get similar youth turnout to what you got in Virginia, it might be a whole new ballgame.

12. Neutral Corner

An energized youth and black vote could make a big difference, agreed. I'm just afraid that it would also energize Republicans who would otherwise not vote against Jones. Coin flip.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.