1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Idiots. It's, "fo' life."

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

They seem economically anxious

HC, LongTimeListener and Dick Whitman like this.
  3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I actually feel kind of bad posting that excerpt, because it’s a bit of a spoiler. The piece is masterful. The writer notes a couple times in passing that these people really hate the NFL anthem kneelers, and you don’t think too much about it at the time. But the Trump support just ratchets up from the start of the story, quoting vague platitudes about him, to that nuclear bomb at the ending. You do feel like the writer takes you on a journey through the layers of the onion into the dark core of Trump’s support, laid bare. The prior NFL mentions are purposeful foreshadowing.

More than ever, I am convinced Fox News is the real devil here. We all joke about it being a different world, but it truly is. It’s frightening. I caught it over breakfast at a hotel in Indianapolis this weekend, all the guests glued to it. We are oftentimes mystified as to how seemingly sentient people obsess over Hillary Clinton’s uranium “scandal” and meanwhile barely know Trump talked about pussy-grabbing. It’s because Fox is utter propaganda. If you tell a Fox viewer you support Hillary Clinton over Donald Trump, that is literally not something they can process, given their exposure to current events.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    Stoney likes this.
  4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Took you long enough.

Right wing media runs an entire half of America.

Dick Whitman likes this.
  5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I’ve tried very hard to empathize with them. That effort is losing steam. I do empathize that they are not-bright people who have essentially been groomed and indoctrinated by an insidious but masterful propaganda arm on their cable package.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

The casual racism is there from childhood. Seemingly innocuous, actually insidious.

8. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Hey, n00b. Try to keep up. We have this thing called a d_b, so named after once-prominent posters deep_background and deeper_backgroud, used to reprimand the repost of previously posted links.

You're in violation. And you owe us a beer.

:)

9. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Link.

BitterYoungMatador2 likes this.
  11. melock

melock Well-Known Member

12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I am so late on this. I missed it. Sorry. The Duke and Duke Building from that movie is on Broad Street -- I believe it is Wells Fargo. Unfortunately, I spend way more time in Philly than I'd like. ... but every time I walk by that building, I turn to whoever I am with and do my best Ralph Bellamy imitation, and say, "Mortimer," or I do a bad Don Ameche voice saying, "Randolph."

The person usually has no clue why, until I explain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.