1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Here's something incredibly stupid and shortsighted in the Republican tax plan.

Grad Students Are Freaking Out About the GOP Tax Plan. They Should Be

"The annual stipend for a PhD student in Carnegie Mellon's school of computer science is about $32,400. The university covers the student's $43,000 tuition, in exchange for the research she conducts and the courses she teaches. Under current law, the government taxes only a student’s stipend; the waived tuition is not taken into account. But under the GOP bill, her annual taxable income would rise from $32,400 to $76,234. Even factoring in new deductions also included in the proposal, the CMU document estimates her taxes would amount to $10,209 per year—nearly four times the amount under current law. That would slash her net annual stipend by 25 percent, from $29,566 to $22,191."

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Saban: "Moore? Where does he go to high school and what position?"
    Saban: "Election? I've got more important things to worry about. And I imagine most people here would agree."

3. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Interesting. Would Moore also agree to a polygraph?

4. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Curious what @doctorquant thinks about this.

5. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

if each woman took a polygraph and passed, everyone calling for them would quickly say, "polygraphs are unreliable. Won't hold up in court."

If moore ran a 4.4, Saban would recruit him.

The trump guy with the giant thumb is in the hitchhikers hall of fame. I also wonder how many women/men have asked for the thumb over his other equipment.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Carnegie-Mellon is entirely free to establish a new tuition rate for its PhD students. As a PhD student I paid $500 (roughly) a semester in official tuition at a time when regular tuition for Masters/undergrads ran about $8K a year.

Further, many states do not allow for tuition to be waived even for doctoral students. No PhD students at public institutions in Texas would be affected by this. Indeed, given the increase in deductions, their taxes might decrease.

I'd wager those hit hardest by this proposal will not be those poor, impoverished PhD students (whom I suspect won't really be hit at all), but rather the faculty/staff of universities who get heretofore tax-free tuition for their children. That Stanford power couple bringing home $500K isn't nearly as sympathetic a victim.

YankeeFan likes this.
  7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trump administration ends program that pairs service dogs with wounded military personnel and vets at Walter Reed. This is beyond anything in a Chris Nolan Batman movie. What's wrong with these guys? For those of you who don't like it when I call Republicans evil, how is this defensible? What explains it except joy from the suffering of others?

8. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Trickle down = peed upon.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

You can take Ontario. The rest of Canada doesn’t want them.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

First link I clicked said it was ended last month because of concerns about oversight. Sounds like garden-variety bureaucratic tyranny to me.
    Walter Reed Stops Contract With Service Dog Program

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The simple thing would be for R's to say, You know what, we don't need this headache. And then walk.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Trouble is, they need the headache. Without the subset of vicious racist heretic assholes Moore represents, they lose every election.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.