1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. melock

melock Well-Known Member

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Ed Henry (R-Ala.) on Anderson Cooper now saying he thinks Roy Moore is the victim of false accusations. Also walked back his comments that if victims stayed quiet and allowed others to get molested, they ought to be prosecuted, saying his words were misconstrued.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

5. melock

melock Well-Known Member

6. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

As has been noted several times, these are not criminal masterminds. They are fairly dumb flunkies who just ain't smart enough to get away with whatever they're hiding. They may not have done anything that quite rises to the level of collusion, but many of them were clearly dumb enough to lie about it.

7. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Or, the university will will offset the real cost of the tax to grad students by raising the stipend and lowering the inflated tuition number, perhaps saving both the student and the government money in the long run via stabilized tuition. Not saying I agree with the tax or the plan, but the last thing this country needs is another history major with a master's degree.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

This seems likely. But that's no guarantee Trump knew about it, or had any idea what was going on in his campaign at all. Would it really surprise anybody if Trump simply hired a bunch of scum bags and turned things over to them and said, "Call me when you need me, I'll be on the golf course?" In a normal world, it would be a major scandal that he hired these people and was such an absentee that he had no clue about their special interest wheeling and dealing. It'd be a major scandal that we have a president who was elected on the efforts of people who were compromised by a foreign government. But everything that has been reported so far can be explained by an individual pursuing his own self-interest without Trump's knowledge. And if that's not the case, we sure as hell will need some sort of smoking piece of evidence, or turncoat testimony, incontrovertibly proves Trump was aware of and approved of some sort of quid pro quo. Look at the Roy Moore thing. That's the standard the evidence would have to rise to before Trump will lose the Republicans he'd need to lose to face impeachment. And even then...

9. melock

melock Well-Known Member

And it begins

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Yep, it was huge. They knew what the reaction would be and they left no stone unturned.

11. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I knew no good would come from it, but I couldn't resist looking at the comments on that article. Yikes.

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I've always been fascinated how national publications can come in and break a big story right under the nose of local papers. And the thing is, I'm sure there have been reporters and editor who have heard the stories for years - why they weren't pursued and how the Post was successful in tracking them down and getting them on the record is a story unto itself. If a story like this didn't jump out in Alabama, you wonder what else is out there going unreported.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.