1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Could you try a more direct approach, please? Remember, I'm stupid.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Bet you’d never say that to my face!

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

That I'm stupid?

4. John B. Foster

John B. Foster Well-Known Member

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Badger. Have you ever been in a Turkish prison?

BadgerBeer likes this.
  6. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

So in your article, would you focus on OJ the running back or OJ the actor?
    Does his "single incident" continue to become less relevant as he ages?

7. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

Only in the feminine.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

I never realized paying somebody to pretend they were raped in an attempt to make actual victims of sexual assault look like liars was a conservative action.

10. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

It's now the party of Trump. And as long as that's the case, it will ALWAYS be party over principles.

The O'Keefe thing is beyond disgusting. Paired with Trump's performance's it's been a puke-inducing day.

But hey, billionaires might finally get that tax break!

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Well, I'd start by saying that on the sliding scale of disappointing behaviour in our fellow man, there's a considerable gap between flawed TV report and murder, but your mileage may vary.

This is what the linked story says about the Rather incident:

"The basic premise of the report was true—Bush had failed to meet his obligations to the National Guard and gotten away with it—but the authenticity of the documents could not be verified. A CBS-commissioned independent review panel made no “definitive conclusion” about whether they were actually “fake.” Even so, four of Rather’s co-workers were let go, and Rather got everything but."

The story gives the incident more airtime—it's referenced in the story's second graf—so it doesn't skate around it, and it shouldn't. But the story does exhibit it differently than I remember it. For instance, there were on-camera interviews, of which I remember none. All I remember is the document. That's an incomplete recollection now made more complete.

Setting aside that helpful revisiting, the story is incredibly illuminating about Rather and why he is who he is, which is both interesting and, today, given his resurgence, useful to explore. Had it just been a piece on the incident in isolation, which seems to be what you want, none of that nuance and context would be there. The story is better for its being there.

Am I saying that you don't lead the Charles Manson obits with the murders? Of course not. I'm saying that "Helter Skelter," the book, was so much more revealing than a story that just reads "This hippie dude killed a bunch of people" might be. Or, to use your reference, the OJ 30-for-30 was so good, so laudatory, because of its completeness: It explored OJ the football player, the actor, and the murderer. It looked at him in full.

I would suggest that's the way we should try to look at most people.

12. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s so very evangelical. Christ himself would come down from the cross to thank his conservative worshippers for their actions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.