1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Since we live near Chicago, we are starting to plan a Route 66 trip in a couple years, all the way to Santa Monica. The kids are excited. The wife and I are excited about the prospect of driving an RV across New Mexico.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Re: Conyers

Haven't several Ds in Congress come out and said he should resign?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Yes, but as another D said, "calling for someone to resign doesn't mean they'll resign." You can't make someone quit. Even Joe McCarthy was only censured by the Senate, not expelled.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

FYI, I was just listening to Randall Stephenson talking. AT&T is trying to cut off the government nonsense up front. They sent a letter and contract within the last few days to rival distributors that get Time Warner content saying that if they sign on the dotted line, AT&T won't shut down its service, or go dark, on them in the case of any disputes. If they agree, any disputes over the next 7 years will be decided by baseball-style arbitration -- each puts forward a resolution and the arbitrator picks between the two.

The notion that the combined company had incentive to withhold what it sells for revenue to 80+ percent of the marketplace (it would be business suicide -- it's dumb on the face of it), in order to somehow boost DirectTV which is dying a slow death right before our eyes becaus new technology is passing it by, was silly on the face of it. Not that AT&T and Time Warner should have to justify themselves to a czar given that kind of unreasonable authority over how they operate. But your instincts werecorrect on this. Those regulators are free to act in whatever corrupt and politically-motivated ways that benefit THEM -- they choose winners and losers as they want them, and hurt consumer choice in the process. It's perverted, because they do it in the name of protecting the people they are actually hurting with their meddling. And in the case of a Trump White House and that kind of corrupt power. ... this was all about CNN's coverage of him, nothing more, nothing less.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Doesn't this belong on the Random Admissions thread?

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I think we're at two. Are there more? Does that count as several?

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

My wife and I have been planning an RV trip up the East Coast and through Canada for almost a year. We'll likely wait until my youngest is a few years older.

If that works well, the cross-country jaunt is next.

8. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

Yes, that is exactly what it indicates.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Okay, this is so random, but there is a 15 mile stretch called Goffs Road, between Laughlin, NV and I-40 in California. Route 66 is painted on the road there.There is a town with like 10 houses and a long ago abandoned general store. In the middle of the desert. It always fascinates me.
    Let me know when you pass it.

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

The Big Texan Steak Ranch in Amarillo. Stay at some motel somewhere and get 'em to send one of their limos with the longhorns on the front. Don't try the 72 oz. challenge.

The next morning, you HAVE to stop at the Cadillac Ranch on the outskirts of town.

From a looooong time ago ...

upload_2017-11-29_12-6-52.jpeg

11. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Tomorrow is another day.

melock, Double Down and doctorquant like this.
  12. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

It could end up being the single greatest buyback of time since the telephone. The average American spends about an hour a day commuting back-and-forth to work. The ability to spend that time on the computer doing a bunch of stuff you'd do once you get to the office will essentially tack on an extra hour to every American workers' day. You might see another exodus from cities, and with it a dramatic redistribution of land values and population densities (away from commuter rails and city centers).

RickStain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.