1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

If anyone tells you you are going to be able to do your taxes on a postcard. ... give them a pie in the face (figuratively).

There is word now that the alternative minimum tax might be back in the Senate version, probably because of a giveback on $10,000 in property taxes they had given to get Susan Collins to vote yes. What a farce.

I am as much for cutting our taxes to zero as anyone. But the mess they are creating is more of the same. It's a hodge podge of special interests having carved out exceptions. On top of it, it is irresponsible beyond belief to cut overall revenues, as this will (the growth estimates are nonsense), without addressing your run away spending problem that has trillions of dollars of entitlements alone locked in. It's shameful.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

3. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

So how long do you think that Trump will be able to resist getting on Twitter and talking about Flynn?

4. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    You want liberal tears? Well, liberal tears cost, and right here is where you start paying...in debt.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

They had eight years to come up with a plan whose numbers were reasonable enough to hold their majority together without all this last minute razzle-dazzle that'll for sure contain enough badly/contradictorily written provisions to keep every tax lawyer in the US employed forever. Eight years. They just didn't bother. They don't care about what they do at all, only that they have and keep the power to do it.

HanSenSE and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

I'm not clear here – by "you," do you mean me specifically, or the general "you"? I'll assume it's the latter since I don't see how you'd have legitimate basis for the former.

Still, I'll play along. I'd like to know some conditions of this potential statement to gauge how much I would accept it:

– Is this something that "candidate Trump" theoretically said during the campaign? If yes, was it about a public meeting with Putin? Or about a private meeting that he denied having, and then when confronted with the truth, spun it toward the statement above. If the latter, then yes, I would be much less likely to accept it. Especially since it was already public that our intelligence agencies knew that Russia was screwing with the election, a fact accepted by pretty much everyone except, well, Trump himself. So yes, my BS meter would have been set to very, very high.

– Is this something that Trump would be saying now about what happened during the campaign? In that case, it would presumably be an explanation for a meeting that he has heretofore loudly and consistently denied having in the first place. So again, BS meter off the chart.

The statement you present above is basically what Trump has said about his public meetings with Putin since he's been president. And yes, I'm skeptical then too, because I don't trust Trump to tell the truth. But commenting on a public meeting is a very different matter than consistently lying that you've had any contact with Russia at all during the campaign or through the transition, especially if you aided their rat-f**king or agreed to mostly look the other way once you got elected.

And I think if you were able to take off your red-colored glasses for a moment, you'd see that. But hey, maybe not.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

This one is worth saving.

HanSenSE likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

So the White House Christmas party for the media is tonight. Gonna be a more awkward social event than your average seventh grade dance.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

And the destructionist wing of the GOP is so frazzled it's writing the bill in the minutes leading up to a vote - so the members won't get to read it in full before voting.

So much for that promise of transparency they made back when a Democrat was in the White House.

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

They could have had 80 years and they wouldn't have come up with anything except nonsense and bullshit.

When your goals are, 1) cut taxes (i.e. reduce receipts), 2) Don't touch expenditures, which at the same time they have increased dramatically during their tenure, and which the vast bulk of consists of built-in mandatory expenditures (via entitlement programs that can't meet their promises), and 3) Do it in a "revenue neutral" way. ... you may as well tell me you are working on a plan to spin gold out of straw.

On top of it, though, the nonsense that they were going to streamline and simplify the code were BS too, because as I was pointing out, what they are coming up with is more of the same.

11. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Some folks seem to forget that this is the GOP Christmas tax package: If we know what’s in it, the surprise will be ruined.

Donny in his element likes this.
  12. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.