1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Trump told there were two sides. Presumably, protesters (neo-Nazis and racists, who else????) and counter-protesters (liberals and social justice activists, etc.), and Trump further said that there were "very fine people" among each of those two groups.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Funny how you weren't interested in hearing anything Bharara had to say when he was in opposition to President Trump. Oh wait. It's you, so hypocrisy is a given.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

People who were there to protest the removal of Confederate statues.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

There almost certainly were some of those there, although I doubt many joined the rally once the torches came out the night before.

5. Dick Whitman

I'm just saying who Trump was talking about, not vouching for his accuracy.

QYFW likes this.
  6. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Preet Bharara's speculation is infinitely more informed than your speculation, but it's still speculation. You're talking about an investigation that has been a pretty tight fucking ship, all things considered, and is ongoing. Nobody outside of it knows the play. I don't understand why you can't see that.

You know what you remind of, other than a bad case of rickets?

There was a journalism student on Twitter who went after a Pulitzer-prize winning friend of mine, telling him how to do journalism. Well, the kid got clapped on, because it was the equivalent of a Junior A hockey player telling Patrick Roy how to play net. I told him as much. The kid then cried that we were being "arrogant." You know what's the height of arrogance? Assuming a position of authority that you haven't earned and have no business thinking you have earned, especially in the face of those who have earned it. That's titanically arrogant. I know you don't believe in experts, and I know that you think that access to the Internet makes your opinion as valid as a Supreme Court justice's, but Jesus Christ, man. I have a pretty solid ego, but at least I have the humility to know when I don't know something.

The strain of anti-wisdom, of anti-expertise, that is currently coursing through modern society is a plague, and you represent it perfectly. And I don't think it's arrogant of me to point that out. It's arrogant of you to presume a status that you haven't remotely achieved.

HanSenSE and WCIBN like this.
  7. Dick Whitman

(I'm aware he has me on "Ignore." But ...)

Fuck that. Fuck that when you said it to @daemon. Fuck that the million times you've played this card on me. And fuck it right now, too.

You don't get to demand deference here. This is a fucking democracy. Your positions hold up on their merits or they don't. Your opinions don't get special status because you profiled fucking Carrot Top.

If @YankeeFan or anyone else is wrong about something, it's because he's wrong, not because he repairs coffee machines, and you should be able to point out why he's wrong without your 10,000th resort to your resumé.

You're a clown show.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2017
    SnarkShark likes this.
  8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Dick, the word you were looking for after "fucking" was "anarchy," not "democracy."

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

My speculation was informed by listening to and reading guys like Andrew McCarthy, who, like Preet Bharara, is a former US Attorney for the Southern District of New York.

It wasn’t pulled from my ass, and it isn’t a coincidence that Brarara backs up what I said.

10. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

"Brarara [sic] backs up what I said."

Sigh. I am writing a book on this kind of idiot non-authority. I might dedicate it to you.

WCIBN likes this.
  11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Now address the guffaws that greeted my quoting (vis-a-vis Flynn) the former Assistant U.S. Attorney who led the terrorism prosecution of "the Blind Sheik." Was that anti-wisdom/anti-expertise also? If not, what was it?

YankeeFan likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What’s the evidence that it’s a tight ship?

There have been all kinds of leaks that have come from the special prosecutor’s office.

And, there’s a DOJ inspector general investigation into leaks. What comes of that is going to be “fun” and “interesting”.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.