1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The novice with no political experience (who isn't a general) is an idea that's been around a long long time. Anybody remember Ross Perot? Further back, there's Wendell Willkie.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Donald Trump is your fucking president. You cannot label any human, animal or cartoon character as having a 0 % chance when the ultimate 0 was just voted in.

4. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Government and business are two different things. A business exists to make a profit. Government does not.

The other thing is, I've heard people say Trump's business, high-rise real estate development, is a particularly tough one that requires a "win or die" mindset. Really?
    It's not like it's the NFL. It can't be that tough.

5. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

"Voted in" is a bit of stretch, given what we've learned about Russia's influence so far, and what remains to be revealed.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

But that's not the component of it I'm talking about. The point is that a successful Fortune 500 CEO has run something. A legislator typically has not. It's not about the end goal - profit. It's about the fact that they ran an entity with any kind of goal.

I'd like to see Theo Epstein run the Bears. Not because Theo Epstein knows anything about a 3-4 or 4-3 defense. But because Theo Epstein knows how to run an organization. He can figure out the rest.

I don't espouse this theory of the presidency, by the way. I think known-how regarding working the wheels of government is too important and more complicated than people realize. But I also think that senators and legislators are missing an important quality of successful presidents. It's like hiring a head coach who never called plays. Governors seem to make well-prepared presidents. Or someone like H.W., who ran the CIA and served as VP.

Iron_chet likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

What have we learned, oh fatalistic boob?

8. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

9. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

You know the three investigations that are currently going on? Especially Mueller?

Seems like there's potentially a lot we have yet to learn.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Because she doesn’t run?

Wouldn’t she clean up the African-American in the early states, which is how Obama and Clinton won the nomination?

Especially in a crowded field, which is expected, how does age not win a ton of delegates early, especially in the South, leading to a big lead?

11. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

True ... but I don't think a TV star is going to get elected coming from the liberal/Hollywood elite. If the Democrats are smart, the black woman they should run is Kamala Harris, who is 10 times more qualified than Oprah. My hope is that Trump scares off the electorate about voting for people who are famous for being famous and decide to make it about the grown-ups in each part. Harris vs. John Kasich would be the best race in 2020/.

12. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Like the article I linked yesterday said, this guy writing this book on Trump is fitting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.