1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You can call a place a shithole.

You cannot say that you don't want the people from there, but you do want the people from a white country. Especially when you have a history of racist statements, supporting white supremacy, and following/using Nazis.

2. DanielSimpsonDay

DanielSimpsonDay Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Shrug. I liked it. I knew that some people here were going to throw stones because it's Pierce. I'm not a fanboi. It's not like I run in here and post every time one of his articles drops.

Don't like him, don't bother reading it.

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Somebody's done his walk around the block.

6. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Let's not forget the day a few years back when it really was a shithole.

Oakland Coliseum plumbing issues again rise up

I Should Coco and Stoney like this.
  8. Dick Whitman

I'm not sure what evidenced "anger" to you, Willy Loman, other than the fact that you are desperate to make me angry and declare some kind of weird victory. Because I said I'm a better writer than you? I am. Because I said that you're a loser in a mid-life crisis? You spend your waking hours calling someone names on an Internet message board. If the shoe fits ...

9. Dick Whitman

I'm throwing stones because 2/3 of the piece is bloc quotes from other publications. I criticize Deadspin for it. I can criticize the Golden Calf.

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Try again. Durban has confirmed it on the record. On his Twitter.

11. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

My understanding, informed in part by the Jake Tapper Twitter thread, is that the “shithole countries” comment was specifically in reference to Africa, and separate from the earlier conversation on temporary protective status for those from El Salvador, Haiti, and Honduras. From Tapper:

Then in a separate part of the conversation when they were referencing the diversity visa lottery, President Trump referred to people coming from Africa as coming from “shithole countries.”

But that’s almost beside the point. If, as you argue, Trump merely wanted to make the case that, “Hey, my preference is to get rid of the diversity lottery altogether and replace it with merit-based immigration,” then why would there be any need to call Africa “shithole countries”? Why bother slamming an entire continent of black people if he merely wants to make a case for merit-based immigration, which presumably could also include immigrants from Africa?

It seems the most likely explanations are some combination of:

– Trump can’t conceive that merit-based immigrants could hail from “shithole” countries in Africa, despite the fact that, for example, African immigrants earn college degrees at a higher percentage than Americans as a whole.

– To Trump, "diversity” in this context essentially means black (and brown) people, so the diversity lottery must be about letting in black people – and what’s blacker than Africa? That's why when the topic is the diversity lottery, his mind jumps to African "shitholes," even though it's not entirely clear that they were even discussing Africa in particular. (This wasn't about the temporary protective status, remember.)

– Trump believes that people from poor countries, especially those that are non-white, are inherently less likely to be able to be productive “real” Americans than those from countries like Norway, and thus less deserving of entry. They shouldn’t be judged by the content of their individual character, but by the country they hail from. If that country is a shithole, then they must have shit on them. No merit! Sad!

Or, more simply, as the New Yorker puts it:

A Racist in the Oval Office

12. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

Tom Arnold is pretty sure that the tapes exist. I check out his twitter when things like this happen (so, pretty often) he says the producer, was just there but cannot remember the guys name, has it still. Mark Burnett!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.