1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Oh. Good. A sock puppet trying to start more shit. Just what we need.

TowelWaver likes this.
  2. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

DW and YF are two of my favorite posters. Occasional disagreements won't change that because I'm a functioning adult. But I have a couple pet peeves that I am compelled to respond to. I don't give a fuck who is posting what bothers me.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But, I’m sure that if a Maasai family moved here, they would give up these customs, assimilate, and chase the American dream with vigor. Why would we ever want to keep them out?

LENKISEM, Kenya — The first time cutting season came around, Nice Leng’ete and her older sister ran away and hid all night in a tree. The second time, her sister refused to hide.

For Maasai families, the cutting ceremony is a celebration that transforms girls into women and marks daughters as eligible brides. But to 8-year-old Nice, it seemed like a threat: She’d be held down by bigger, stronger women, and her clitoris would be cut. She’d bleed, a lot. Most girls fainted. Some died.

Still, her sister gave in.

“I had tried to tell her, ‘We are running for something that’s worth it,’ ” recalled Ms. Leng’ete, now 27. “But I couldn’t help her.”

Ms. Leng’ete never forgot what her sister suffered, and as she grew up, she was determined to protect other Maasai girls. She started a program that goes village to village, collaborating with elders and girls to create a new rite of passage — without the cutting.

4. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You are more than welcome to pick and choose. I think going after family stuff here tells you so much about who a person really is.

5. YankeeFan

OK. You’re right. No more suggestions from me that you put your career ahead of your family.

Let’s bring this back to a happier place. I know they’re very different cities, but which one did your kids enjoy more, Havana, or Florence?

6. Earl’s Court

Earl’s Court New Member

Keep taking the high road.

7. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Managing the Hawaii emergency alert desk this morning:

[​IMG]

8. typefitter

Everybody here knows what you are anymore.

9. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Why wouldn’t they? Because they are Africans?

lakefront likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

Does this read better in Canadian?

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

If I'm being honest? As far as I know, I'm the only one who said anything when YF first mentioned your kids.

12. typefitter

That's true, and I appreciated it very much. He's still at it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.