1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Nope. That's extremely biased. You've taken responsibility out of the hands of the people making the decision and used the passive voice to protect them.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

No. Each side could say that hed supports its position.

3. RickStain

I know I'm not exactly the standard-bearer for the importance of quality in journalism, but I'm surprised I need to explain why the passive voice is bad.

franticscribe likes this.
  4. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Fine, turn it around.
    Army veteran with drug issues marked for deportation

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

This guy's drug issues aside, any immigrant who joins our military and fights for this country probably deserves citizenship. They're doing a lot more to protect and help this country than most of us. Also, he was arrested, tried, convicted and served his sentence.

PTSD gets some lip service from politicians, but veterans suffering from it are severely underserved. I know quite a few veterans who struggle on a daily basis to maintain sobriety, to function in social settings, who struggle just to keep a job, and they get the runaround from the VA for every single issue they face. Counseling? "Maybe we can fit you in sometime next month," is the line they say they always hear.

I agree with most of what YF is saying about this guy.

BTE, however ...

The headline is: Green card veteran facing deportation starts hunger strike. Nothing about two tours or 2 U.S. citizen kids in that headline. In fact, the felony drug conviction is mentioned right in the lead. So how was it written "in a way that tugs in one direction"?

franticscribe and Inky_Wretch like this.
  6. bigpern23

The tweet is garbage.

7. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

It was in the Trib headline, no?

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

9. RickStain

Better. I still disagree that "drug issues" deserves equal play with "veteran" and "deportation"

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

That’s the angle that bothers me. Does he have PTSD? Did he start using (and failing the drug test) due to trauma caused by his service?

If so, then we owe him more than a one-way ticket out of the nation.

11. bigpern23

Anybody know how the headline appeared in the print edition? Things have likely changed since my last newspaper gig as everyone understands SEO better, but web headlines were usually not much different than the print version. And a print version might not have had enough space for the drug conviction (which was mentioned in the lead).

Drug issues were a part of it, but today's news was "Veteran," "deportation," "hunger strike."

12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

She works for Fox News, no? Isn’t that the top level for her skill set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.