1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Seems like "The Memo" had quite the opposite effect Trump was looking for. It's so transparently partisan and stupid that it's seen for what it is: a blatant and failed attempt to discredit the DOJ, FBI and Mueller.

Instead, it confirms that the probe didn't start with the dossier, but with Papadopoulos (which confirms the NYT story).

There's just nothing there that is helpful to Trump or at all believable.

It was so poorly done that now if he does try to go after Rosenstein, it's another clear case of obstruction of justice.

Also, Devin Nunes is a complete moron.

2. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

The short version ...

At the end of the day, the most important aspect of the #memo is probably not its contents but the fact that it was written and released at all. Its preparation and public dissemination represent a profound betrayal of the central premise of the intelligence oversight system. That system subjects the intelligence community to detailed congressional oversight, in which the agencies turn over their most sensitive secrets to their overseers in exchange for both a secure environment in which oversight can take place and a promise that overseers will not abuse their access for partisan political purposes. In other words, they receive legitimation when they act in accordance with law and policy. Nunes, the Republican congressional leadership and Trump violated the core of that bargain over the course of the past few weeks. They revealed highly sensitive secrets by way of scoring partisan political points and delegitimizing what appears to have been lawful and appropriate intelligence community activity.

It was a heavy blow to a system that has served this country well for decades, and it is one that will not be forgotten any time soon.

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

People believe what they want to believe
    People will see their own shades
    Some find they're at their most comfortable
    lying in the beds that they've made

tapintoamerica likes this.
  4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I wonder how many Republicans are going to follow him up the hill in the next human wave attack?

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I'm not talking about what Comey did in October. I'm talking about the interviews, decisions, letting off the hook, etc., prior to the tarmac.

And I'd go easy with the moronic comment. You've probably committed some of the biggest boneheaded SJ moments ever. But... let your derangement syndrome consume you. It's good for you.

SpeedTchr and QYFW like this.
  6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

But I thought there were hundreds of FBI members who were ready to revolt if Hillary won the nomination? Whatever happened to that revolt anyways?

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

You have zero room to talk about derangement syndrome when the conversation has turned to Hillary Clinton if you still think she should have been prosecuted.

8. Vombatus

I suppose wanting to keep their jobs and knowing they had HRC supporting hacks in power above them did them in. Was a damn mystery to me, until more details came out of how the fix was in.

I knew I could count on you to show up, Baron.

9. Vombatus

And here comes defender Rick.

doctorquant likes this.
  10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

They didn't respond to an imaginary post.

11. Baron Scicluna

A damn mystery? You mean a damn fake news conspiracy theory.

12. Baron Scicluna

They must have decided not to jump on the pile.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.