1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Most politicians believe that they know what’s better for you than you do and they are much smarter than you.

Trumps people just want to make things better for themselves.

2. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Steve Wynn has resigned from his own company. Has the RNC returned his donations yet?

3. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Crickets from the Trumpists around here. Go figure.

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

5. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think American politics, and therefore American politicians, would be better if the money could be soaked out of the system, but I think that's probably too tall an order at this point. I can't imagine Americans agreeing to pay more tax for anything, let alone to publicly fund election campaigns. But that's one way to improve the quality of the material. It wold also level the playing field, but I don't expect many people would see that as a positive outcome.

6. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

The universe is designed with living things putting self interest first. In the aggregate, it actually produces the best possible outcomes, because your self interest usually requires you to act morally -- to deal with others in a way that is amenable to them (and vice versa). People take "self interest" to mean everyone running around screwing each other. But that isn't reality. Anyone who behaves that way, isn't acting in his self interest. Eventually others won't deal that person because they know he or she isn't a moral person, and that behavior has the effect of HURTING your self interest.

Selfishness is rational. It also doesn't mean doing "whatever you want." Moral principles aren't opinions. They derive from reality -- people are rational beings, who have to think and act successfully in order to live happy lives. Morality helps people identify the kinds of traits that MAKE you successful -- the virtues, such as productivity, integrity, honesty, pride, etc. that advance your self interests (whatever they are for any individual). Which is why we are all better off when people are focused on what they should be -- their own lives, and not being forced to sacrifice themselves for others (which is immoral).

This was something that the founders of our country seemed to inherently understand, which is why our government (which has become something it wasn't designed as over a few hundred years) was built around the rights of individuals to pursue their self interests. That is what civil libertarians are all about. Those founders imagined a very limited government (certainly one not coercing people to do things they rationally don't want to, under coercion, in order to benefit others) that simply wanted government's role to protect us from each other in the pursuit of our interests. Our system would work just fine, if various branches of government hadn't been expanded via power grabs over time to turn our government into an entity trying to manage people's behavior for all kinds of objectives OTHER than allowing those people to rationally make decisions that are in their own best interest and live their lives freely.

FileNotFound and doctorquant like this.
  7. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think what @QYFW would argue—and he'll correct me if I'm wrong—is that America, the institution and the idea, can withstand even someone as singular as Trump. I am not nearly so confident.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

What's to say.

They should have already returned the money. They eventually will.

I've already said this, and said that it's one of the dumbest things people do; to put off the inevitable, and endure the criticism in the interim, when it's painfully obvious what the end game is.

9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

But you didn't say it quickly enough, which means you don't really mean it, which means you really support and encourage rape!

SpeedTchr likes this.
  10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

There's an easy way to take a lot of the money out of politics -- make government smaller.

11. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I'm all for giving Cadet Bone Spurs his wuddle victory parade if it means we can skip right over the war part.

HanSenSE likes this.
  12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

"Smaller" will get all cocked up by those who think you're a rape apologist ... what you mean is "less consequential" or "less expansive" or "less intrusive". But you're right.

YankeeFan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.