1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

A lot of them, probably by law-abiding gun owners. I'm OK with that. The next Nikolas Cruz or James Holmes is not thinking, "Holy fuck. They are going to ban these suckers soon. I better put this plan of mine into motion in a jiffy!"

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. Dick Whitman

Flawed premise!

BINGO!

(Though I actually strongly agree with the meat of your post.)

4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

5. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

That is half of a martini away from just using the n word.

6. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is all my opinion but:

1. What changed was Fox News and the full bloom of talk radio (the flowering began when Reagan era folks rolled back station ownership rules) tapped into identity issues and cracked them wide open by the 2000s with the help of wingnut sites like Breitbart and Infowars. Guns became a cultural frontier - the last one, arguably, since religion has been kicked out of schools and immigration is a mess and so on and so on. (I'm speaking here of that perspective, not my own.) The right-wing media has successfully convinced many (white, straight, male, older) Americans that the world is going to hell in a handbasket, and liberalism is the cause, and now liberalism is at the doorstep of gun rights.

2. No, you don't have to accept it, but you may have to compromise - along culture war lines. You want to get rid of AR-15s? Fine. Give conservatives more abortion restrictions, or the immigration wall, or some other thing that indicates you're willing to lose some part of your political identity you cherish to take something they cherish. I agree that it's lemonheaded. But what Trumpists want (what Trump seduces them with) is some sense that their way of life, however offensive it is to you or me, has value and can be, on most fronts, protected and preserved going forward. Now, a lot of that way of life can't be protected or preserved. It just can't, nor should it, and in about 10-15 years, that'll be evident once millennials are in charge.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Dude, what? You can keep it? How is that workable? Possessions change hands. Things are sold. How is allowing Ar-15s to continue to be in circulation a viable fix?

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I haven't read everything on this shooting, and i believe this school had a bit of an open air campus, but how was he able to pull a fire alarm? Does anyone know? Was it on the outside of a building, or was he able to enter?

I know he did get into the building, but i would imagine that in a fire alarm situation, multiple unguarded doors, that are usually locked to the outside, would be opened, allowing him entry.

9. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Man, you are desperate for that NRA money to keep flowing into Republicans' campaign funds.

10. Dick Whitman

Because Nikolas Cruz and James Holmes aren't going to be able to buy them over the counter any more.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I know you think you're being funny, and making a winning argument by mocking mine, but I'm not the one you need to convince, and comparing it to the speed limit isn't going to change any laws.

What we see is folks mocking and/or demonizing law abiding gun owners, while proposing laws that would effect only those law abiding gun owners. And, you wonder why they won't agree with you?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Oop used the word "the" in his post. BINGO!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.