1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

No, YF, I'm using the same logic that's been used by the gun lobby every time the question arises, including yesterday by Rubio. Their argument is getting quite tired, as tired as thoughs and prayers and the need for more tome to study it, as Ryan said.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Interesting concept.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I mean, that’s great, but don’t be surprised when you don’t get very far.

If that’s your one proposal, you won’t get the support you need.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

And I don't have enough grip on the factual particulars here of what we face to propose anything concrete. I'm just spitballing some first principles here.

5. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Buybacks work.

Australia confiscated 650,000 guns. Murders and suicides plummeted.

Australia solved this problem by introducing a mandatory buyback: Australia's states would take away all guns that had just been declared illegal. In exchange, they'd pay the guns' owners a fair price, set by a national committee using market value as a benchmark, to compensate for the loss of their property. The NFA also offered legal amnesty for anyone who handed in illegally owned guns, though they weren't compensated.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm very, very comfortable with aggressively putting AR-15 advocates on the defensive.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

True, there are other differences, and there's no way Bill Clinton gets elected in the 1950s. But that's really the main difference. It's the hypocrisy of the Falwells and the Huckabees who screech about family values, and then say that Trump deserves mulligans.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  8. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

What would we name the program? Greenbacks for Guns? Benjamins for Blunderbuss? Pennies for Pea-Shooters? Cash for Carbines? Pesos for Pieces? Bucks for Old Betsy?

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Gunemployment.

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But you won’t, and this isn’t the case that will do it.

11. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Very similar societies.

12. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Which one are you again, @YankeeFan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.