1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

Hands up or we'll shoot

2. CD Boogie

Um, it is very similar. Australia is a democracy and they speak freaking English. They share many of our same values. They have a cowboy ethos, too. It's about as similar as these things get. But, derp, GOP.

3. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

In what ways are they different?

4. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Toilets swirl the opposite way. Really makes communication and understanding between the two societies impossible, really.

5. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The U.S. is much larger and more diverse AND it is much more grounded in gun rights (and rights in general).

Responsible gun owners in this country are not going to sell their guns to the government. Nor should they. I suppose you can get some desperate criminals to return their guns but such a program would almost certainly be a waste of money in this country.

Finally, I think many Americans would recognize the buyback for what it is — a backdoor attempt at confiscation.

SpeedTchr likes this.
  6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

What compromises on other issues will appease the NRA hardliners?

Relaxing of gun laws to allow students to carry on college campuses? Done. Teachers packing pistols in their classrooms? Done. Concealed carry reciprocity? It would be done - if mass shootings didn't happen so regularly that the GOP feels squeamish about bringing it to a vote.

Donny in his element likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They don’t. They can wait, oh, 10-15 years and make widescale changes regardless what conservatives think. Maybe earlier, but I’m guessing 10-15.

8. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

So what do you do? Lock him up? No crimes seem to have been committed until now in order to imprison him. So I guess the state determines that person is mentally ill and locks him up. How many people are in Broward County that have similar mental problems. Do you lock them up also and for how long? How many people in total do you need to lock up as a preventive measure?

The political party largely opposed to gun control control all branches of government in Washington and in Florida. What do you think the chances of legislation to lock more people up as threats will pass in Washington or Tallahassee will pass this year?

My guess is that no legislation will even make it to the floor. And until it does I will consider such proposals as nothing more than red herrings.

9. CD Boogie

What the fuck does diversity have to do with gun ownership? Fuck all, that's what. You're basically extolling the fact that ignorance is a closely guarded value in this country.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I grant most of those. But Australia has a mythology as steeped in cowboy bullshit and violence as ours.

Is the idea of a federal gun buyback a longshot? Sure. But they've worked elsewhere and they work at the local level and to continue doing nothing ensures more deaths.

Every intervention in our current death-spiral is a longshot.

But something must be done.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Nikolas Cruz might be crazy as a bessie bug, but without access to an AR-15, his potential to harm others is severely mitigated.

Or we can institute @YankeeFan's intricate nation-wide alert system, which is sure to work seamlessly in a nation of 350 million people.

TyWebb and SnarkShark like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.