1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is there some evidence to suggest otherwise?

Perhaps Manafort played a role in the platform language. Other than that, I don't see anything, and neither, apparently does the DOJ.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

3. TigerVols

Apparently. Yep, we’re all done. Nothing left to see here, right?

What’s your explanation for the pro-Russia plank?
    What’s your explanation for Trump wrongly taking Putin’s word over that of the American intelligence agencies?

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

If there's any science that shows a connection between violent video games and crime, sure, let's consider it.

But statistics show the opposite.

Across the age of video games (and, coincidentally, rap), violent crime has gone down.

If there's a way to keep perpetrator's names out of the headlines, again, sure, let's explore that to temper copycat-ism.

If you're willing to re-fund and rebuild the mental health care apparatus in this country, let's do it.

I'm willing to consider some sort of social media threat matrix algorithm that collates likely threats, too. We can have the 1st amendment arguments about that, and about surveillance, as they arise.

The one constant in all the science and all the research is this:

fewer guns means fewer gun crimes.

5. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

To see this indictment as the end game of the investigation is willful blindness. Within it, there is a statement about "co-conspirators known and unknown to the grand jury." Doesn't sound like a wrapup turn of phrase.

6. YankeeFan

Is there any suggestion that any of them are American, let alone associated with the Trump campaign?

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Can't tell the press what they can't print. Thats not only a constitutional principle; it is practical in the (admittedly rare) case of a shooter who makes a getaway from the original crime scene. The community has to be alerted.

On the case of the patient who stops taking meds, I like that one. My guess is that it would have to written carefully and specifically.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I think this is true because it keeps boys off the streets and in front of their TVs, but my intuition and also some research shows that boys have higher levels of aggression after playing first-person shooter games. It’s a paradox because the games likely lead to less violence overall - but perhaps more of these massacres.

I think copycat-ism is a primary cause, made possible by the easy availability of M-4s/AR-15s.

9. TigerVols

10. YankeeFan

It would take about 10 media companies coming together to announce a voluntary policy for about 90% of the media to join in.

But, we can change anything, even the constitution. If @Dick Whitman wants to repeal the Second Amendment, than we can also amend the First, as part of the same process, if there's evidence to suggest it would work, and if the people demand it.

11. YankeeFan

Media companies can, legally, name the victims of sexual violence, and yet, almost none do, unless the victim publicly comes forward, and speaks on the record.

This same kind of policy could easily be adopted to not name the perpetrators of mass violence.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  12. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Buuuuulllllshit. They wanted Trump to win, first and foremost, because Putin hates Hilary Clinton.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.