1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pete

Pete Well-Known Member

What if the mass-violence perpetrator has an Islamic name? Should the media still not report it?

How far should this media embargo extend? Should we report on the nationality of the perpetrator? His/her immigration status? Past criminal history, if any?

I could be wrong, but I don't recall you proposing a "let's not mention the shooter's name" policy in the aftermath of, say, Orlando or San Bernadino.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You're right.

From now on, in order to buy a gun, a potential buyer has to watch videos of bloody gunshot victims, speak to family members of gunshot victims, must make two appointments and have a 72-hour cooling off period to ensure that they really want a gun, and also, every gun seller must have admitting privileges at a hospital for them to care for anyone who gets shot by the gun buyer.

And oh, the buyer must have either a vaginal exam or a rectal probe to ensure that they are healthy enough to own a gun.

All these are suggestions and/or laws made by the anti-abortion crowd as it applies to abortion. We'll just apply their rationale to guns now.

I'm sure you'll have no response other than to tell me how dumb my post is. By doing so, you would be admitting that those anti-abortion regulations are dumb.

TigerVols likes this.
  3. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

How did the media and democrats work to discredit him? What did they do?

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

As with any legislation, it’s all about priorities. Having dealt a little with funding issues re: special needs, it’s not that government doesn’t have the money, it’s that it chooses to spend it elsewhere.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

dos·si·er
    ˈdôsēˌā,ˈdäsēˌā/
    noun
    1. a collection of documents about a particular person, event, or subject.
      "we have a dossier on him"

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Like we don't already have enough conspiracy theories and false flag theories. Now you want to order police and news outlets to keep names secret?

What about if the shooter is known, and on the loose? Should the police and media not be able to say the person's name and identity and keep people in danger of running into the shooter?

Or, what if the shooter is captured alive? They have the right to a public trial. Would the media not be permitted to report on the trial?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  7. lakefront

I don't consider that infringing on the first amendment. I think that is a great step, maybe put an age limit on it. Ultimately that one comes down to the parents, why are they letting their kids "play" with this crap? They have the ultimate control and should use it.

8. lakefront

He spoke specifically about after trump won, the dossier---I totally support oppo research---was done before he won. And no matter who, that kind of thing is going to leak. We probably would have known the gory details even if he lost.

So, the question stands...what did they do to discredit him.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It is part of the job of every political campaign to discredit the opposing candidate. That's not nefarious, it may be distasteful, but it's normal. To say, "the Democrats shouldn't have tried to find out dirt on Trump" is insane. To say "the media should've ignored a newsworthy report on a Presidential candidate because they didn't independently come up with the same information" is just silly. In the event, most media outlets did ignore the "dossier." Only Mother Jones and Buzzfeed really ran with it.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Once again, YankeeFan shares his ignorance regarding the modern media. While you have larger and larger corporations in many fields, but the definition of media continues to broaden. Those 10 companies can announce all they want, but all it takes is one leak and the name goes viral.

HanSenSE likes this.
  11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You need to stop with that last part. It would be neither and you still haven't said who would pay for it or how. The idea of drastically improving security at schools is fantastic. But I also know enough about local school budgets and the Republicans' push to cut federal funding for public education to realize it wouldn't be nearly as easy as you claim.

12. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Who cares what it costs? Congress can just jack up the debt limit again. o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.