1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

You see what I'm saying though, right? Or am I insane?

It seems to me like it should be more than just morally wrong to accuse victims and their loved ones of being crisis actors.

3. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

It seems like it should. But it shouldn't. The unintended consequences could be horrific.

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Great Britain is a good example of a state that enjoys free speech - and plenty of satire - and has some robust defamation laws, too. I would imagine one could engineer some preventions against the kind of thing we're talking about without surrendering "free speech" to do so.

5. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

New charges filed in Manafort-Gates case

"New charges have been filed in Special Counsel Robert Mueller's criminal case against former Trump campaign chairman Paul Manafort and aide Rick Gates, but the charges were put under seal by the court, obscuring the nature and import of the development.

The new charging document filed in federal court in Washington could be a superseding indictment, adding new charges or even new defendants to the charges filed last October, accusing Manafort and Gates of money laundering and failing to register as foreign agents for their work related to Ukraine, among other crimes.

Last week, prosecutors told the court they'd received new evidence that Manafort took part in "a series of bank frauds and bank fraud conspiracies" in connection with a loan he sought in 2016. Mueller's team said Manafort obtained the loan using “doctored profit and loss statements” that overstated "by millions of dollars" the income of his consulting business."

6. SnarkShark

It’s the slipperiest of slopes. I just can’t bring myself to endorse criminalizing speech.

The other consequences of those actions will have to do.

TigerVols likes this.
  7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I don’t like people who live in residential areas owning them. It’s tiresome as hell to walk down a neighborhood street and have to listen to crazed hysterical barking from every third yard.

If you don't have room to give the dog proper space, don't own a dog.

BadgerBeer and lakefront like this.
  8. SnarkShark

That’s not a space problem. That’s a bad owner problem.

9. RickStain

False accusations can already be criminally and civilly liable. That wouldn't be some new ground.

10. RickStain

I don't care for that argument when it's assault rifles, and I don't care for it when it's dogs.

11. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

Could David Hogg successfully sue someone for calling him a crisis actor? That's a legitimate question. I have no idea.

12. SnarkShark

My dog has lived in apartments and now a relatively small house. She’s 60 pounds. She only barks at people who come to the door, which is her job.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.