1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It might be true of some segment of "the left." But someone like me, who considers this "urgent social policy," has two inner-circle friends - as in two of the three guys who are at every get-together I attend and are two of the first three on every guest list I have - are gun hobbyists.

Donny in his element likes this.
  2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

The best people.

3. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Is there any other constitutionally guaranteed right that we currently deprive from someone who legally qualifies as an adult?

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

What does "legally qualifies as an adult" mean? That's set by state statute.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It’s easy to preach the to the choir. But the narrative that immediately after this shooting the libs and dems were automatic in attacking the NRA are no trust factually correct, but totally misleading, self serving and cruel.

How many mass shootings since Columbine? No one even remembers:
    Santana High School, 2001, 2 dead, 13 injured.
    Indianapolis 2006, 7 dead including 3 children in a house. AK47.SKS style weapons, 23 7.62MM casings
    2009 Binghamton NY 13 murdered, Beretta Handguns.
    2009 Geneva County Alabama9 murdered, AR15, SKS style rifle, shotgun, .38 handgun.
    2013 Santa Monica 6 murdered, AR 15

There are dozens of the these. But its wrong to talk about control immediately after a tragedy, but how about 2 years later, 6 years later, 13 years?

Too soon Mr. LaPierre to talk about gun control since 1999?

What I would seriously like an answer to is:
    what is the NRA’s position on confiscating the firearms from a person who has legally acquired them and has had no due process to declare the person a danger to himself or others. Can we just start taking guns from people who are angry and have interpersonal issues?

6. heyabbott

Old Enough for Roy Moore is an adult.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  7. heyabbott

Voting

8. Human_Paraquat

I suppose I've been pushed away by the GOP enough that I qualify as "left" now. What I know about the "culture" of the Parkland shooter, and the Virginia Tech shooter, and the Vegas shooter, and the Columbine shooters and the Sandy Hook shooter is that none of them can be gathered under one cultural umbrella. Different races, education levels, geographic backgrounds, etc.

I only know what they were capable of due to easy access to weapons of mass violence.

If the implication is that liberals are using school shootings as an excuse to take shotguns away from squirrel hunters, that's either obtuse or disingenuous.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Nope. A searchable database regarding a person's guns, to include being able to run a serial number and see who purchased that weapon, is illegal by federal law. The NRA made certain of that. If a crime is committed and law enforcement needs that sort of information, someone needs to start going through boxes of forms and looking at microfilm of records.

Same for "Is someone accumulating a huge stash of automatic weapons and ammunition", as the Las Vegas shooter did. No database, no way to flag someone who has bought twelve ARs or AKs in the last two months.

Illegal. Federal law. NRA.

TowelWaver and heyabbott like this.
  10. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

As I've said again and again and again - for years - I'm not interested in stopping hunters from hunting or law abiding folks from keeping a shotgun for home security.

But going back way before Reagan and the resulting Brady bill, I've been for tightening handgun laws. Selfishly. I live in a city. The more restrictive the gun laws, the safer I am.

And since the Brady Bill, I've been in favor of restricting combat-chambered versions of the AR-15 and the AK-47. It's not just the number of rounds in the magazine, or the rate of fire - it's the damage those rounds inflict.

Nobody needs a 5.56 NATO cartridge to shoot varmints. Unless you want to liquefy a squirrel. And they're terrible for home defense because they go right thorough the wall and into the next house.

As I've said, I'd be willing to give every family in America a hunting rifle and a shotgun for free if they turn in all their other guns.

heyabbott likes this.
  11. Human_Paraquat

Fair enough. Are there any constitutionally guaranteed rights we deprive to someone over the age of 18?

12. heyabbott

Buck Sexton? Bombshelter radio?

That’s clown stuff

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.