1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

If more Americans possessed nuclear weapons there would have been less Americans killed by nuclear weapons last year.

HanSenSE likes this.
  2. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

You better double check these points with your leader. He wants a certain percentage to have the guns. 20? Whatever it was, it was not -whoever happens to already have a permit- How would that work out? What if a school didn't have enough? So what you said is not his expectation of who should have guns.

He also does indeed expect these people to track down the killers---just like on tee vee! He expects them to stop the killer, most of these -he said- end in 3 minutes, before responders get there. He wants the shooting and killing to end before that. They are suppose to go look for that killer to stop him.
    Not just wait for him to randomly come across the room that has the armed teacher.

Slacker likes this.
  3. Dick Whitman

They aren't going to try it. Not on any scale that matters. It's a distraction device to hold the fort until people get back to talking about "The Voice."

4. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I see Facebook memes that claim these shootings happen because we took prayer out of our schools. That's why mass shootings never happen in churches, right?

I see everyone up to and including the President saying the shootings are preventable if we arm the teachers or staff them with armed guards. That's why mass shootings are always stopped immediately without innocent casualties at military bases, right?

This is lunacy. Raising the minimum purchase age is a bullshit first step. When it doesn't prevent the next AR-15 shooting by a 21-year-old with no "red flags," we'll pass more laws.

We're coming for the murder machines. The NRA and 2A absolutists are welcome to be part of the solution. If they decline, my thoughts and prayers on the pending limitations of their arsenal.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

6. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

That link didn't lead me to any story, so I'm assuming that doesn't include active military members, right?

7. lakefront

This is exactly what you are saying the teachers should do.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

There have been armed police in literally thousands of schools since Columbine. None of them has ever stopped a school shooting. It's good that we tried, we should try everything we can think of to end this madness, but it has not stopped a single shooter. It's possible that armed police on site made someone think twice and not act, and I hope that's true. We'll never know.

Nothing is going to stop them, not if the shooter does not care if he lives or dies and is committed to the act. All we can do is try to mitigate the damage, and the only viable way to do that is to make it harder to get hold of fast firing semi automatic weapons with high capacity magazines. The AR15 is the current weapon of choice but there are literally hundreds of different weapons which would do the job. The harder it is to get them, the fewer of these shootings will happen. It won't stop them all, but every one that is means that some family isn't mourning their dead kid or mom.

You can kill someone with a brick or a knife if you want to, but you can't kill twenty people in the school cafeteria.

9. lakefront

I thought trump was going to protect every school with armed teachers? You better double check.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Active military don't purchase their weapons, do they?

11. Dick Whitman

I suspect that making schools difficult to enter has probably prevented school shootings from occurring. Before Columbine, you could stroll into any school you wanted.

Neutral Corner and YankeeFan like this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Boy. You’d think a President who would allow his military commanders in the field to take such action might be considered to be tough on Russia.

Anyone think we do this under President Obama, who surely would have needed to personally authorize it?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.