1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Oh, it’s applicable to you in every context.

2. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

yeah, I take myself very seriously. Haha, you nailed it.

3. BadgerBeer

BadgerBeer Well-Known Member

In this particular moment in time he would have been better off with a gun. But virtually every other day the odds of someone being shot in the school would increase with his having a gun. This is an incredibly stupid idea and you know it.

4. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Related, it struck me as odd that Loesch got shut for saying the mainstream media likes school shootings because white people cry, but liberals have complained for years that the news ignores news when it involves African-Americans. The pretty white girl theory. Two heads of the same coin.

As for gun violence affecting African-Americans disproportionately, any mention of Chicago around here is roundly mocked. Those killings rarely involve legal means of obtaining guns, so how would more laws to limit guns in circulation address such deaths?

Finally, one of the other issues that is at play here — and you are a big proponent of addressing it — is mental health. Any required extensive checks could have a chilling effect on African-Americans seeking treatment, as their rates of mental illness are higher.

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

In fairness, those deaths are on the decline. Yes, we can do more. But mass shootings are on the rise. I think the current discussion is a reaction to a very specific kind of gun violence that has been occurring with increasing regularity. The deaths in Charleston resonated. All the victims were black. I also think that a lot of the inner-city violence you speak of - though not all - includes victims who are also participants in the drug trade. It's a damn shame, obviously, but perceived differently than waiting for "Batman" to come on and meeting your maker.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Donny in his element likes this.
  8. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

Many of those guns come from neighboring states (such as Indiana) which have less strict gun laws.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...go-actually-came-from/?utm_term=.783dbd23788b

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The Bee is pretty funny. CD wouldn’t like it.

10. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

11. Human_Paraquat

Human_Paraquat Well-Known Member

I think stricter gun laws everywhere would reduce gun deaths everywhere.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It would help. But it's not a magic bullet, no pun intended.

QYFW likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.