1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Is he better known for something else?

The aforementioned single line (or was it two) in Spaceballs?

Being his father's son?

2. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

As a Canadian, I can't answer this question, but I want to make sure I'm reading this right. A youngish couple pays $1,280 for coverage EVERY MONTH? I thought you were talking about for the year.

I know I pay more in tax, but Jiminy Christmas that's a lot of money to pay just in case something happens to you.

3. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I might be missing the joke, but this seems really out of line, YF.

4. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

It sounds just about right, actually.

5. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member

Yep. Now you know why from the 30-1st of every month I get stomach aches and headaches as I think about fact we're paying that, plus rent on our NYC 1 bedroom and the studio we now use as a home office (which we do use on our taxes). A few months ago my wife was saying it seems like we don't have as much cushion as we did a few years ago and I was like, well, between the health insurance and home office we're paying $2400 more each month than we were in 2013. Over 2 years...that adds up! I'm not sure what it would be if we qualified for the subsidy; the income cutoff is like 60,000 for a couple, I believe.

I'm interested to see how our new plan is different (you know, assuming there is still health insurance in few months). Our new plan is the top level platinum. So we now have no deductible. Our previous plan was going up to 1300 a month and was still going to have the 4,000 dollar deductible. As we debated changing, it seemed like a no-brainer, but we were leaving Empire for place called Healthfirst. I liked that you know Empire's going to be around and Healthfirst, when I've called, I get the impression 2 people work there. The recorded message sounds like someone talking inside a cave. But it just made no sense to keep paying more for a worse plan, especially since the networks are pretty similar. We're no longer in Columbia-Presbyterian but do have Mt. Sinai, so that's all right.

But yeah, when I go back to my old job as a freelancer now and I hear them complain that the insurance for a couple is now 200 coming out of each paycheck and how outrageous that is, I want to throw something. But I did know it'd be a tradeoff with the freedom that freelance provides. But even our original plan going up 500 bucks in three years is just ridiculous. That first year we had it, by November I was like, why the hell did we even take it? We'd each gone once for annual physical. Then of course in two weeks we had two emergency room visits that were very expensive and it's like, oh, yeah, that's why we pay absurd amounts each month, on off chance something like this happens. Frustrating, but.....terrified to know what alternative is going to be.

YankeeFan likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Dick has turned "former game show host" into a pejorative against Trump.

I think it's kind of funny that another former game show host is someone people look to for advice on how to resist Trump.

Why's it out of line to mention it?

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Still needs to work on his beaming.

TyWebb likes this.
  8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

As an aside, we're now on Page 666 of this thread. And Trump hasn't even been sworn in yet.

9. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

10. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I don't think we should elect Jeff MacGregor to be president, either.

I think you may be exaggerating just how many people are "looking to him" for advice. He has about 5,500 followers on Twitter.

11. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It is not pejorative. I was told after the Golden Globes that Americans don't care what Hollywood celebrities have to say. They clearly do, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.