1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

The anti-gun folks aren’t doing the Hogg kid any favors by propping him up and hiding behind him. He’s increasingly coming under scrutiny because of the position he’s been put in. Hopefully people close to him will protect him better than they have so far.

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Two days until school reopens. And two weeks behind in the school year. Maybe they'll have other things to think about soon.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If Pinocchio was president, lumberjacks could take the rest of his term off.

4. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

He's the one who chose to leave school early and enter the big leagues. I'm fine with him taking a few Ks in his first few at-bats. I don't think he's expecting anyone to "do him any favors" or "protect him better."

5. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

He is only coming under scrutiny by people who weren’t inclined to listen to him anyway.

This isn’t about persuasion. Persuasion is dead. It’s about keeping the focus on the issue for the people who already agree.

6. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Agreed. I saw one of those pop up in my memories.
    If anything, I think people are more energized after this shooting, mostly because of the actions of the students.

7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

Whether he expects it or not, he needs it. If no one is around to tell him to think through what he says on television, he’s going to continue to come under increased scrutiny and potentially hurt the cause he’s fighting for.

8. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Who the hell wrote it up this way?

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Fair or not, I think he will be, and has been, given a lot of leniency on some of the finer points and details of this debate because of his age. His argument is mostly an emotional one. "I'm a kid. I was shot at in a school. It's fucked up." But if someone wants to call BS on anything he has said and can back it up, I'm all for it. If he wants to be in the debate, he can take his lumps. (Sorry Smallpotatoes.)

I think the important thing he and his classmates are doing, as others have said, is keeping this issue in the headlines. He doesn't have to have every talking point down to do that. He just has to keep showing up.

10. Slacker

Slacker Well-Known Member

Baby showers are not for men. Never, ever cave.

bigpern23 likes this.
  11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the details of his supposed inconsistencies, but from an activist standpoint, I can see an argument that, at some point, savvier professionals might want to nudge him to let them take over the fight.

Problem being that savvy professionals can't keep this in the headlines. Kid who was present for a massacre can, though.

TyWebb likes this.
  12. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Understandable mistake, it gets very frigid in south Fla.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.