1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm sure I'll come to regret this, and with apologies to @Baron Scicluna, but, let's try an analogy.

Let's imaging a scenario where the New York State legislature, in an act of political payback, decides to not grant the New York Yankees a planned tax benefit.

@Michael_ Gee: Fuck those crooked politicians in New York. The Yankees should move. I'm sure politicians in Nashville. new Orleans, and Salt Lake City would roll our the red carpet to attract the Yankees, and would provide them with tax incentives to move.

@YankeeFan: Guys, this is ridiculous. The Yankees have a fairly new stadium, in which they've invested hundreds of millions of dollars. They have television deals, sponsorships, and ticket sales based on them playing in New York. And, while those are nice cities, non of them has a market the size of New York.

@typefitter: Oh, lookie here, we've got an expert.

@YankeeFan: Well, I did work for an MLB team, bit, while I don't consider myself an expert on the subject, I do know enough to say that moving a team like the Yankees to Nashville isn't as easy as Gee made it out to be.

@typefitter: LOL. Look at the guy who sold sponsorships in Tampa Bay acting like he knows all about the Yankees economics. Are you trying to say that no MLB team could ever move from one city to another.

@YankeeFan: Well, no. Obviously, MLB teams have moved. It's just that this particular example is not a good one. The New York City market is huge, and they Yankees have a lot invested in New York, and Yankee Stadium.

@typefitter: OK. So, you're saying the Yankees could never move.

@YankeeFan: Well, no. I'm not saying that. And, while it would be one thing to move certain back office jobs out of new York -- and, in fact the Yankees do have a good number of back office jobs in Tampa already -- it's not nearly as easy as people are acting like it is. But, sure, the Yankees could move to Nashville.

@typefitter: We're in agreement. Good day!

@YankeeFan: Well, yeah, but...

@typefitter: I said "good day!"

BTExpress, Songbird and SpeedTchr like this.
  2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

OK. On this topic, I will concede: guilty as charged.

3. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

You’re, like, a really smart and stable genius.*

*— This is a joke.**

**— Or, is it?

4. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

YankeeFan is complaining about somebody else using straw men and distorting the words of others. Wow.

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But we should totally think he's just a shrewd negotiator when it comes to tariffs!

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Sigh. I think I have to come down on YF's side here. And no, I'm no expert in Airline operations either.

COULD Delta abandon the Atlanta hub and build one elsewhere? Sure. It would cost an obscene amount of money, an amount that would have shareholders gathering with pitchforks and torches. There would have to be ironclad (grin) business logic behind such a move. The forty million that the Ga. Lege withheld is a drop in the bucket by comparison to the cost of such a move.

Moving the corporate offices, the non-flying parts of the company, that's easily doable if Delta is serious about slapping back at Georgia. Moving a hub... you do understand that airline routes are set by the FAA and are extremely valuable, right? I don't know how many flights Delta makes per day out of ATL, but if they build a new hub elsewhere, those flights don't just move with the company. They are Delta flights to/from ATL to wherever, X number of flights per day. Delta can sell the rights to those to another company who wants them, but cannot just take them to Newhub after they build it. We're not just talking about selling off the existing buildings at Hartsfield and building more elsewhere - although, again, that is going to cost huge money. Add in the time factor. The facilities in Atlanta were built over how many years?

Another factor is that if there is another city to build it in, one with enough air traffic and demand to justify facilities that large, other airlines are already servicing it. Sure, you can build ATL sized facilities elsewhere, but to justify them you need a high local rate of passenger traffic as well to generate the necessary cash flow to support it. I suppose you can switch connecting flights where ever you wish, but if there are not enough ticket buyers coming in and out of that city you'll have a hugely overbuilt facility being underutilized.

There are a lot of things that *can* be done that simply make zero sense to actually do, and Delta moving their Atlanta hub is a good example.

8. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

9. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

10. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

And don't forgot to pick up your official POTUS seal bumper stickers and window decal in the lobby!

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

12. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.